{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this a stupid Idea

+3
LRS30
RebStew
6-71Kid
7 posters

Go down

Is this a stupid Idea Empty Is this a stupid Idea

Post by 6-71Kid November 11th 2007, 5:39 am

I've been thinking on how to drive the blower with out going broke and I started looking at my bike. A typical blower belt will cast about $100 a 520 chain cost about $20. Drive pullys for the belt cost about $80 to $100 sprockets cost about $20. The plus for the belt is that its proven to work and you can get parts that are made for it. The downside is that it cost a lot more. The plus for the chain is that its a lot cheaper and custom pullys would be easyer to make. The down side would be that I would have to completely design the drive system myself.

What do you guys think is this stupid or do you think it could work.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Is this a stupid Idea Empty Re: Is this a stupid Idea

Post by RebStew November 11th 2007, 6:02 am

I'm not sure if it's worth the time to fab it up. I'm not sure if it would hold up to a blower either. I would stick with the belt and just save your money to do it right. you could slip one of the Gates Rubber Co. warehouse workers 40 bucks to pull one out of the bin in the warehouse. John and I took a few skids of aluminum out of Gates. one of the skids was filled to the top with blower pulleys. this was before ebay took off and so you guessed it. we scrapped them. there were hundreds if not thousands. one skid fit into the back of my HD Ford work truck and dropped the one ton leaves down a few inches. Very Happy John and I know a few people that work there. I may be able to talk to them and get ya one pretty cheap. they would have to know the part # of the gates belt.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 November 11th 2007, 6:10 am

A Chain drive blower would cause way to much static wieght on the pulleys it could be done but the weight is the factor why they use a belt verse chain...Harley has used primary drive chains for ever, they weight a lot more that a belt.. Thats why you see belt drives on drag bikes...Intresting hell yhea productive maybe not, if your dead set on try it.....Rules Schmules....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid November 11th 2007, 6:57 am

I don't know if I'm dead set on it. but I don't think there would be a problem with the strenght if it can handle being the final drive for a 100hp 465 pound bike it should handle a blower. I'll have to look into the those gates belts and see what would work.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918

Back to top Go down

Post by 1/2done November 11th 2007, 2:29 pm

If it spits the chain at speed and wraps around the crank it'll be like a buzz saw. Not to mention if it does this while you're tuning it.
1/2done
1/2done
Mechanic

Number of posts : 282

Back to top Go down

Is this a stupid Idea Empty well

Post by Striping Stew 54 November 14th 2007, 1:37 am

You know it all comes down to is, it just matters what you call stupid. every body has there own opinion on whats stupid jocolor
Striping Stew 54
Striping Stew 54
Scrounger

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod November 14th 2007, 1:49 am

cole spend the extra cash for some reason if the chain breaks or binds up an comes apart i wouldnt want to be around it plus if you use a chain that is to tight you will problt need a steel crank ,a friend of mine had a cast 1 and it broke the balancer right off even with a belt a chai i would think would be less forgiving you need to come to my garage a buddy of mine has a blown s-10 everything on it is faded
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Number of posts : 462

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous November 14th 2007, 2:27 am

I'd hate to be riding shotgun if/when that thing lets go. I imagine that chain might come in after you.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 14th 2007, 4:57 am

Striping Stew 54 wrote:You know it all comes down to is, it just matters what you call stupid. every body has there own opinion on whats stupid jocolor
this is like the 3rd post tonight where Corey sounds like Forest Gump. come on boy. he must have kissed Page tonight. he's out of his shell . watch out guys affraid
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down