{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost the Tranny in the Tahoe

4 posters

Go down

Lost the Tranny in the Tahoe  Empty Lost the Tranny in the Tahoe

Post by TAHOE April 29th 2014, 5:22 pm

I had little to no warning of tranny letting go on Good Friday. Loaded up with 5 people in the Tahoe- cages in the back, headed out to pick up our 4 baby goats. Only warning I got was when I pulled in the peoples drive, it jumped about 4 times in reverse before it caught. Picked up goats then headed home. Sitting at a stop light, hit the gas and BAM, then a clicking noise ( like a BaseBall carb in the spokes) and moving slow in 1st gear. I was going to drive home since I had drive or so I thought, when it shifted to second, it jerked, banged, tried to shake itsef to death. Thankfully my uncle lived right there, made it to his front yard. Sister come over, took wife and kids home, my son's friend brought his truck back to pick up me and goats, AAA brought Tahoe home next day.
From what I've read and talked to my BIL who owns a garage and used to rebuild trannies for a living, the splines stripped out of the sun shell. As soon as I get it pulled, he is coming over and helping me do a rebuild on it so I will have only parts cost and whatever I give him.
Worst time of the year for me too. This is when I haul my tractor to do landscaping and plow gardens!

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Lost the Tranny in the Tahoe  Empty Re: Lost the Tranny in the Tahoe

Post by Lady rebel April 30th 2014, 4:03 am

At least everyone is okay including the goats.  Very Happy 
Lady rebel
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 May 1st 2014, 12:27 am

Just had to do Vicki Nova's 2004 with 123000 miles....plus BCM, and EVERY break line on the truck....plus....4 new tires.....about 1900 bucks.....got the tranny done on a buddy deal for 1200.....
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE May 1st 2014, 7:05 pm

yea goats got home safely, took and extra hour and half, but we made it home.
Thankfully my BIL used to rebuild these for a living. Once I get it pulled, he gonna come over and help me out. Only cost me parts and whatever I give him  cheers 

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE May 16th 2014, 6:42 pm

BIL had unexpected open heart surgery on Weds, quadruple bypass. Not sure what I will do about rebuild now, I'm gonna need Tahoe back on road soon.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE August 14th 2014, 4:17 pm

Got tranny back after rebuilt, cost me $900 but he said he had $630 in parts. I guess I blew apart the planetaries, the parking ring, a clutch shell and the sun shell coupler was also worn out. Rebuilder said converter was marked with Jan 2004 and he found non factory rebuild parts inside so this tranny was rebuilt sometime in 2004. I guess they just reused most of the hard parts, between my bigger tires and towing heavy loads, it all finally went south. He did some upgrades and this should last me lifetime I own it.

I highly recommend this guy if you are in Ohio/ Butler county area. He seems to know what he is doing.
He is a long time drag racer in this area too, has a beautiful 80's Cutlass with big block Chevy!

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE September 16th 2014, 3:50 pm

Back in Tahoe, had a couple snags with some leaking lines, but all fixed.
Got an issue with shifting though, seems to want to "flash" I was told it is called or slip right as it shifts. jumps 2-300 rpms right as it shifts like going into neutral for a second.
Not sure the probem, but hoping something simple, maybe a line pressure issue and I can change the boost valve.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr September 17th 2014, 3:39 am

Hopefully your tranny guy can help with some input on this. Is that a 700R4? Had their share of problems, in my experience anyway. Good luck with it. Would a misadjusted cable from engine to trans cause this? The Fords used this, called it a TV cable, and it gave the trans boost requirement signals to control line pressure- if adjusted too soft, the trans would flash and slip- if adjusted too tight, it would shift like a pro-stocker and tear stuff up.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE September 17th 2014, 2:01 pm

Well kind of a 700, it's a 4L60E, shifting is controlled mostly by computer/sensors/valves. I wished it was easy as something out of adjustment, but I am thinking not. He made some adjustments because I tow alot, but I do not think he upgraded the boost valve/spring so it's not holding line pressure enough for proper shifting. Sucks though, that's in the pump so tranny will have to come back out.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr September 18th 2014, 1:44 am

As soon as they hooked a computer to it, they took all the fun out of it....
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE September 18th 2014, 3:05 pm

Yea, as soon as they made them automatics, they took all the fun out HAHA

Guy called me back, he thinks it's okay, maybe the TPS is out of wack, going to throw on scanner early next week to see what is going on.
I drove it last night and it seemed to shift better, maybe computer just needs to learn the new tranny feeds.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 September 18th 2014, 5:11 pm

Funny, I had to take mine back as well....threw a CEL and the Torque converter was not talking to the Computer??? and shifted hard...so he took it apart and replaced it...ALL good now.....I drove it 1/2 day 2 days ago, but at 12 MPG I don't drive it much.....
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE September 18th 2014, 6:00 pm

falconwagon62 wrote:Funny, I had to take mine back as well....threw a CEL and the Torque converter was not talking to the Computer??? and shifted hard...so he took it apart and replaced it...ALL good now.....I drove it 1/2 day 2 days ago, but at 12 MPG I don't drive it much.....

At least your's is fixed. If I have a problem, I get to take it out myself since he just rebuilt it as I took tranny to him. Good thing he's in Trenton only 15-20 mins away.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down