{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blizzard Warning

+2
SMOKNZ
dieseldr
6 posters

Go down

Blizzard Warning Empty Blizzard Warning

Post by dieseldr March 12th 2014, 11:31 pm

Here we are in NY, with our second blizzard warning of this winters' season. It's not that bad here yet, but the drop in temps and the drier snow they say is coming should make for some dicey driving later. We got 6 to 10 inches so far with another 4 to 10 on the way depending on where you are. I know this winter has been brutal on everything, I have found out it is even taking its toll on heating equipment. I'm monitoring a coal boiler for a customer who is out of the country, and that has even suffered a failure due to thermal cycling and fatigue- some of the firebrick has fallen down and is blocking a portion of the combustion area. Once we get thru this short stretch of blizzard and and a few days of cold till Tuesday next week, then it is getting shut down for either permanent, or for a short time for a repair, depending on how long our warmup lasts. I'm praying for along term warmup and a permanent shutdown. Mother Nature knows for sure.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Blizzard Warning Empty Re: Blizzard Warning

Post by SMOKNZ March 13th 2014, 1:12 am

The last several days was pretty nice with a temp of 71 yesterday. But today was another story! It's supposed to be in the teens tonight and this afternoon we had snow showers. Nothing what you are going through dieseldr today and tonight by no means. But this coming week, even the 40's is better than what we've been through the last 3 months.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin March 13th 2014, 1:26 am

I'm hoping this is the last couple days of cold weather in Northern Ky. The other day I got some sun on my neck from working outside all day. Now it's snowing. Just crazy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 March 13th 2014, 12:23 pm

Got pretty nasty up here last nite. Nothing like New York but with the lack of salt and other stuff to put down they had to shut I-675 down most of the nite because cars were just going everywhere. The way it looks the Easter Bunny will be leaving tracks in the snow this year.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr March 18th 2014, 1:21 am

In the last nine days we have had 4 episodes of temps that have bounced from zero, or below, to 48 or more degrees, and back to at or below zero, and a blizzard during that time.  And gone from none to 10 inches to no snow again in the same amount of time.  If you don't like the weather, stick around five minutes- it'll change.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthGaKidd March 18th 2014, 1:45 am

you guys be safe up north, i dont even remember what snow is like its been so long and my wife has never even seen snow..
SouthGaKidd
SouthGaKidd
Scrounger

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr March 18th 2014, 1:58 am

She should see it just once, to realize that she needs to stay as far away from it as possible. Honestly, it never used to bother me like it has this year. And it probably wouldn't have been as bad, but with the endless below zero temps we have had all winter. We really didn't have what you would call an excess of snow, which made the cold seem that much worse. We have had water lines and septic system lines freeze that have never frozen in this are in my lifetime. I'm 50, and remember going out with my father, using his Lincoln pipeliner welder, and thawing water lines electrically. And there have been water lines that were froze this year that never froze then. Fortunately, since his passing, I never maintained that service in my business- it's way too expensive to insure, and very few homes or service entrances use conductive piping anymore. It's just been a brutal winter up here. Ready for summer- skip spring.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthGaKidd March 18th 2014, 3:26 am

i hear ya man, im not to fond of the cold either...
SouthGaKidd
SouthGaKidd
Scrounger

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2013-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis March 18th 2014, 5:49 am

dieseldr wrote: Ready for summer- skip spring.

With you there! I've talked with several people who hope we don't skip spring. Not me! Bring on the summer sun!
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ March 18th 2014, 2:20 pm

I think we all have seen our fair share of Snow this year. It wouldn't been too bad if the temps weren't below zero for weeks at a time. One of my utility bills showed how cold it was in one month and I had never seen a utility bill that high in years. lol Warm weather is right around the corner!
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down