{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY

+3
Cratethis
Reb Stew
John B
7 posters

Go down

Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY Empty Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY

Post by John B February 19th 2014, 10:02 pm

Here's our first flyer. This will change as we add awards, games, sponsors and get the t-shirt art lined up.

Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY Firstflyer2014
John B
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY Empty Re: Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY

Post by Reb Stew February 20th 2014, 12:55 pm

Great flyer John.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY Empty Re: Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY

Post by John B February 20th 2014, 8:59 pm

Thanks man. It's our first version. When our artist gets the official art work done we'll make a new flyer. One that listy most of the awards and maybe some entertainment news.

This flyer would have been out a few weeks back but it took me a while to find the original artist that did the hot rod picture. It's from a magazine from 32 years ago! I did a search and asked around till someone hooked me up with an email address. I hope i got the right person. LOL Anyway they said as long as we weren't selling it they had no issue with it being used.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 20th 2014, 11:04 pm

That's cool.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis February 22nd 2014, 5:41 am

Looks like fun!!!
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by John B February 22nd 2014, 6:07 pm

Greg Johnson can give you a better review then I can, I'm biased.

I'm still wracking my brain to figure out a way to top last years entertainment
John B
John B
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl February 23rd 2014, 12:23 am

I am with Greg... Wyatt has a blast stapling dollars to a girl.. lol
extenzegrl
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster February 27th 2014, 2:37 am

My personal opinion, Hoodlums in the Holler is the best show currently being held in the Tri-State area. And, although I am using the term Tri-State area extremely loosely, this is a show certainly worth the travel.
Roller Coaster
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew February 27th 2014, 5:26 am

Twisted Evil 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ June 15th 2014, 12:55 pm

Is anyone driving down to Morehead to this event. I haven't been there in a few years and plan to go. Let me know who would like to tag along.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by John B June 27th 2014, 4:48 pm

This years t-shirt art
 Hoodlums in the Holler - Haldeman, KY Hith2014_small

Last year on the HAMB social group for KY one of the guys complained that we let in late model stuff. I don't get why people don't understand about trying to do shows like that in eastern KY is next to impossible. I just told them if they didn't like the late models to bring even more older cars and make it clear what they like.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by Brownie June 27th 2014, 5:51 pm

I like the t-shirt art. ^^^ Cool
Brownie
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 27th 2014, 7:08 pm

John B wrote: I just told them if they didn't like the late models to bring even more older cars and make it clear what they like.
No matter what you are going to have crybabies. Good comeback though.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Brownie June 27th 2014, 7:56 pm

Reb Stew wrote:
John B wrote: I just told them if they didn't like the late models to bring even more older cars and make it clear what they like.
No matter what you are going to have crybabies. Good comeback though.

Everybody has to start some where and with some kind of car they like! I could not just go out and buy a street rod.
Its just like buying a house you have to start some where and work up from that point.
You just cant make everbody Happy. There is always going to be the crying section!
Brownie
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by John B June 28th 2014, 10:24 pm

So this is how it ends. That was the first thought that ran through his mind as he saw the headlights bearing down on him.

Ellis had been out on a late night stroll when the enticing smell of barbeque and the beat of some music he’d never heard before had drawn him to the road that ran along the bottom of the holler. He was so captivated by the aroma and the music coming from the big block building across the way, that he’d started to cross the road without even looking to see if the way was clear. Now he was facing certain death at the hands of a reckless speeding driver.  He knew he couldn’t get out of the way in time and that his genetics had made is legs move too slow even if there was a chance. So here he stood watching the headlights get closer and hearing the mighty roar of the engine. Whatever this car was it was cool. “What a weird thought to have as you’re dieing.” He admonished himself. All this ran through his brain in the few seconds since he’d stepped in to the path of this screaming vehicle. Somehow at the last possible moment he thought to flatten himself on the road.  Luckily it worked and the car passed over him.  As he breathed a sign of relief, the terror came back suddenly. Another set of headlights now had him pinned to the pavement. As he saw it coming he knew there was no way he’d be able to get low enough to let this one pass over him. The bumper was almost touching the blacktop! As it got closer all he could do was tense up and prepare to get squashed. Then he heard the screeching of tires and there he was immovable in the middle of the road staring at the massive chrome bumper that had came to a stop just inches away from him.

Laying there he heard the slamming of doors and the sound of footsteps coming from both vehicles. He felt more then saw two figures standing over him.  Now Ellis was scared, so scared he couldn’t move. “Maybe if I play dead they will go away” his mind screamed. Even in his cationic state he could overhear the conversation that was now going on above him.

“Geez Ronald Cratis, what was you trying to do? Get us all killed? “

“Dammit George quit calling me by my middle name and what was I suppose to do run over the poor little dude? He stepped out in front of me while I had my foot to the floor man!”

“Well I guess you got a point, but what was he doing out here this time of night? More importantly, what are we going to do with him?”

“ What was he doing here this time of night? Probably the same thing we all are. He came down off the hill to hear the music from the sockhop over at the school and get him some of the food they got in there. You gotta admit the smell of Rosies’ barbeque could raise the dead. Even this feller here was hip to that!”

Then the two guys fell in to a silence that was only broken by the sound of rumbling exhaust. Now Ellis was starting to worry, what if these two guys decided to finish him off.

“ Wait a minute Cratis, are you telling me that one of these guys likes the same music and food as us?  That they feel the beat down in their soul just like we do?  That’s got to be the dumbest thing you’ve said in awhile. Right up there with saying that multiple carbs on a nail head would be easy to keep tuned in.  I mean we both know that you were wrong about that, heck that A-bone of yours is sitting there loading up and flooding as we speak!”

As Ellis laid there listening to this conversation he was becoming more concerned. He realized these were a couple of the hot rod guys that everyone had been talking about. Just a few weeks back the editor of the local paper had wrote about how these automotive obsessed teens had been terrorizing the locals people everyday when school let out. He’d gone as far as to call them hoodlums and a menace. If these were the same people he knew his end was near. Now a third voice joined the conversation. This one was softer and had a sweetness that made him think of a ripe persimmon.

“ What are you guys doing? Saying last rights over the body? Oh, the poor thing! Is he dead? “

“No Gail, he’s just playing dead. They do that when they get scared. Ain’t that right Cratis?”

“I told you quit calling me that, my names Ronnie! As for this guy, I say we leave him be, he’ll get up and go on his way in a few minutes”

The sound of a small foot stomping the ground stopped whatever the guys were going to say next.

“You’ll do no such thing, you two caused this poor creature to be in this state and you’ll take him home and make sure he’s OK! Do I make myself clear?”

“But Gail I think..”

“You think? Were you thinking when you came ripping out of the parking lot and blasting down this road? Ronnie Cratis Taylor you will take care of this or we won’t be going to Jerry’s tomorrow night and we sure won’t be going to the Trail Theater either!”

Ronnie let out a breath, which was quickly understood by everyone as his sign of surrender. A few seconds later Ellis felt himself being wrapped in a jacket and lifted off the ground. The warmth of the material and the rich smell of leather made him feel like everything would be all right. He was handed to Gail who carried him back to the idling vehicle that Ellis now knew was a genuine hot rod. As she settled into the seat she cuddled his small jacket swaddled body closer to hers and Ronnie slid in the drivers side and gunned the gas. That got him admonished and he slowed down. In a few minutes the Model A started up an incline and came to a stop. Ellis was packed inside a building and given a bed where he could rest. A minute later George came through the door grumbling.

“You need to fix that driveway, it’s rougher then the back side of Bear Skin Road. I almost didn’t get up the hill. Drug most of the way!” he then turned his attention to Ellis and said “ I guess if we’re keeping him around we need to call him something and since he can’t tell us what he wants to be called it’s up to us to find him a name. You two have any bright ideas?”

As they stood there in deep thought about what his moniker would be, George slapped at a bug that had landed on his neck and exclaimed “Damn Skeeters! “

Ronnie and Gail made eye contact and said in unison. “Skeeter!” At that moment they all knew that’s what they would call him. Proud of their selves they headed for the door to leave the newly named Skeeter to get some rest. As they were going out the door Gail was saying “ Why does he have to sleep in the back of the garage? Why can’t he stay in the house?”

The exasperated Ronnie was heard to say. “You know exactly why Gail it’s because my dad would have a hissy fit. After all Skeeter is a possum!”

To be continued.
John B
John B
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 28th 2014, 10:57 pm

Very Happy 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew June 28th 2014, 10:58 pm

SMOKNZ wrote:Is anyone driving down to Morehead to this event. I haven't been there in a few years and plan to go. Let me know who would like to tag along.
I'm going down. Be nice to get a few members to take a run together. HINT HINT HINT!
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down