{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When did this happen?

3 posters

Go down

When did this happen? Empty When did this happen?

Post by dieseldr January 23rd 2014, 11:23 pm

You can put this in your file of useless information, but today whilst cruising thru the features my old cell phone has, (it's a flip phone about 2 years old) I found a feature called unit convertor. So, since many a time I head to the internet for conversion charts for torque and volume conversions, I decided to play with this a bit and see how it was to use. I plugged in a couple known measurements to see what I could come up with, and things seemed fairly accurate. Then I decided to see how smart this thing is. I punched in 5,280 feet, and it didn't come up with a mile. I had to keep adding feet to this, and finally came up with a mile actually measuring (according to this silly thing) 5291 feet..... Now when did a mile become 11 feet longer (plus a little, cuz it still comes up to .999999 of a mile) than what it used to be? Is this a result of the new math they teach in school, or have I been living in my own little world? Sounds like dragstrips everywhere need to change there finish line by a couple feet plus a couple inches to be accurate. Just sayin'...
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

When did this happen? Empty Re: When did this happen?

Post by Kentucky Kid January 24th 2014, 2:34 pm

Hmm... I have an app called Garage Buddy on my phone. Its pretty accurate. Ill have to see what it says. It has a bore/ stroke calculator, tire size calc, belt size, weights, etc. Very handy.
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid
S.W. Ky Chapter President

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kentucky Kid January 24th 2014, 2:35 pm

It says 5280.
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid
S.W. Ky Chapter President

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 24th 2014, 3:08 pm

I think what it is, is that these features are all done in metric, and when the math is done in reverse form the actual measurement of a km to convert to feet and then multiplied to get the result, I'm thinkin that is where the hangup is- cuz all of us on this side of the pond KNOW that a mile is 5280, and a 1/4 mile is 1320. Just another incident where the US condescends to the rest of the world to make them happy... if they don't like our numerical system- to bad for them, they can adjust.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 January 24th 2014, 4:00 pm

Maybe it's adjusting for altitude like the racers do. LOL The Fuel cars only run 1000 ft anymore and most of the small tracks only run the really quick cars an 1/8 mile.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 24th 2014, 4:21 pm

I just thought it was intersting that something as standard as a mile didn't come up to its known measurement. The more the world changes, the screwier it gets. jsut my .02 worth.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum