{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stay warm

5 posters

Go down

Stay warm Empty Stay warm

Post by dieseldr January 7th 2014, 6:23 pm

Hope you all down there in the KY,TN, OH are staying warm and tolerating this weather. Here in NY we have blizzard warnings, wind chill warnings and advisories, road closures, travel bans- the whole nine yards. Of course, in Erie county they get blistered with that lake effect snow, and this storm is no exception- expecting 3-4 feet, whiteouts, just plain miserable driving. It was -15 here this AM, and is still -7 at 12:30. Eastern end of Lake Ontario is expecting 80 plus inches of snow off this system before it finishes with them.
Went over to the shop about 9 miles away, and the water inside was frozen... the entire water system comes into the bathroom, and is pretty much confined to that. The bathroom is 8 ft square, has an oil filled radiant heater in there set to 60 degrees, and the water still froze. Furthermore, the shop is radiant floor heat utilizing a wood fired boiler for hot water, the transfer lines from the boiler to the inside were frozen- havn't used the heat there for a few days, but the system has antifreeze in it, but apparently not enough. Got that thawed without issue, no damage to anything. Will be leaving the water running in the bathroom to keep it "soft water", and will leave one auxiliary heating circulator for an "overflow" heat exchanger going so the water will keep moving. Thankfully, this is going to end Wednesday night. This weather sure taxes people and equipment to the limit. My service truck barely started this morning as well. Big engines with high mileage usually don't fare too well in these conditions.

Hey all, stay warm.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Stay warm Empty Re: Stay warm

Post by Marty042 January 7th 2014, 6:29 pm

Sounds nasty up there. Good luck to yourself. Sounds like you may need it more than us.
Marty042
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 7th 2014, 7:27 pm

This is crazy weather for this area. We have been due for a cold snap though. One good things is less bugs to bite you this summer!  cheers 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 January 7th 2014, 7:45 pm

Here in Dayton, Ohio it was a balmy 10 below this morning and has risen all the way to 3 above @ just after noon. I think we got the coldest behind us. The temp is supposed to rise about 15 degrees a day and be almost 50 by the weekend. Just a little west and north of here they really got hammered. Some people from work were stranded between Indy and Chicago. Pretty nasty way to spend two or three of your vacation days.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 8th 2014, 12:00 am

They missed the lake effect totals by a foot- it was just too cold to snow any harder, but it still wasn't pleasant. Those folks are used to that kind of abuse. We don't get that where we are, but it gets just as cold, if not even about ten to fifteen degrees colder here because the lakes don't moderate us. It never got above -5 today, but I agree falconeddie, the worst is behind us. If my truck starts again tomorrow, it'll be clear sailing for a while. I have faith it will, but the cold and 200,000 miles and endless hours of idling take its toll on a V-10. Awesome engine, and not bad on fuel, but big blocks and cold weather don't mix.

I can't imagine getting stranded out in this crap with no way to motivate. When it gets like this I stay right around home, and check the things I need to, the rest will wait till better conditions.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 8th 2014, 1:02 am

All the vehicles started the last couple days but getting into them was a little difficult,the roads have so much salt on them the lines can not be seen so no old cars will be on the road any time soon.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down