{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woolly bears

5 posters

Go down

Woolly bears Empty Woolly bears

Post by dieseldr January 4th 2014, 2:25 am

8:15 Friday night- looks like -14 on the mercury right now. Gonna keep them woolly bears on all night, and the dog can come up on the bed and crash across my feet if'n he wants. We'll see if it makes it clear to -20 by morning. If it does, I'll be draggin' my feet to get out and about, till it warms up just a tad. Good morning to go to the garage for a couple hours, then run errands after it warms up enough to try starting one of the vehicles. I hate asking an engine to start at -20.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Woolly bears Empty Re: Woolly bears

Post by Reb Stew January 4th 2014, 2:36 am

Good Lord 20 below? I thought it was cold here.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 4th 2014, 2:47 am

Ain't got there yet- that's my prediction though. It went to -14 without too much trouble, it's clear as a bell here now, we are in a "bowl" type valley near 1700 ft elevation, so it's gonna be damn cold by the AM.

Took some tires to a shop 45 minutes away tonight, off the snowmobile trail grooming machine our club uses. They are going to foam fill them (flat proof them), so that I don't get blessed with laying under that foolish thing trying to pry a flat out from the track system to get it going again. Didn't see any trail riding going on, and we finally just got a foot of snow to ride on. We should be grooming tonight, or at least this weekend, but with flats on the machine, it's not happening. I see the gate to the state forest trail is still closed, so tomorrow sometime, somebody (probably me) will have to go up with the key and swing that open so folks can ride. But it has to be opened, it should have been opened on December 18th when trails opened. Having a tremendous problem getting people to participate with trail activities with the new club pres. Didn't think it would have that great an impact on things- guess I was wrong.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 4th 2014, 2:55 am

And at -20, it doesn't feel much different than 0.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky January 4th 2014, 3:51 am

I checked the weather where a buddy leves in norther Wisconsin. -34 Monday night.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook January 4th 2014, 4:08 am

dieseldr wrote:And at -20, it doesn't feel much different than 0.

Very true. I've told folks for years once you get below zero there is little difference until you drop around -30 or lower. Coldest I was ever in back home in Alaska was -71 below (with wind chill) in Fairbanks. Shocked 

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 4th 2014, 4:11 am

I just don't think I could ever hack that cold of weather. I was out earlier today cleaning the drive off and I'm still cold from that. Can't shake my chills.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 4th 2014, 5:58 am

Its supposed to be -15 around here monday night,my bronco almost did not start this morning when it was close to 0 so its battery time.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 4th 2014, 1:19 pm

[quote="junkyardjeff"]Its supposed to be -15 around here monday night,my bronco almost did not start this morning when it was close to 0 so its battery time.[/quot

Clouds moved in overnight, now it's 7 above at 7:00 AM. Yeah, we're bracing for Monday night, too. Say it will be the coldest air we've seen in around 20 or so years. Might be aroud -25 to -30.

My father was in Attu in the Korean conflict, a tiny island not far from russia. He used to tell us stories of the frigid temps, and the ocean dampness. When you're 82nd Airborne, you're a tough mother. And he was. Still trying to figger out why people jump out of perfectly good airplanes........

Seriously, he was on tank retrieval team. Gotta respect someone who can work in those conditions fixin some big ol' hunk of iron and bringin' it back in. They would drop in, repair, and airlift out, with a crew bringing it back in, unless it needed trucked.

I really don't think having the ocean influence on that island that it got into the -70 ranges, but I'm certain it got to -40, and lots of water, dampness, etc. I think I would rather have the dryness at -70.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum