{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb kits

+2
Arieldouglas
dieseldr
6 posters

Go down

Carb kits Empty Carb kits

Post by dieseldr October 7th 2013, 10:48 pm

Don't know how you guys out there deal with getting a carb kit for fairly basic carb types and models, but here in NY, if you walk into an auto parts asking for a carb kit (even for a holley 2 barrell) they look at you like you are from Mars, and the young guys behind the counter practically wet their pants- at least the old-timers (if you can call them that) will thumb through a catalog for a few minutes before they say,"sorry". Not really sure I want to deal with an online source, but it's getting to the point where "ya gotta do what ya gotta do." Suggestions?
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Carb kits Empty Re: Carb kits

Post by Arieldouglas October 7th 2013, 10:59 pm

RockAuto?
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin October 7th 2013, 11:54 pm

I got tired of the same thing. Even common stuff for a SBC they have to order from their warehouse. It's easier for me to call Summit Racing or Jegs.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky October 8th 2013, 12:02 am

The local parts shop thats been in town since 70 or so always had the carb kit or could get it the next day from the warehouse.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 8th 2013, 12:41 am

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll try jegs, Rock Auto doesn't exist here, and auto zone is a joke.... NAPA and Carquest are shrugging their shoulders. Carb kit source.com has lots listed, most or all of my applications are covered, but no phone number- all orders are thru the net- literally.... I want to talk to a person when I place my order, and I want a name when it's loused up so I can grab someone by the collar and get my point across.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ October 8th 2013, 2:33 am

Find a local speed shop. There are a couple here in Cincinnati that I deal with on things like that.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 8th 2013, 3:07 am

The only speed shop within a 2 hr drive is a "speed" shop. Not known for its automotive performance products, but other needs can be met there. Anyway, there are some places out of Buffalo I can contact for automotive preformance stuff, now that I think about it.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff October 8th 2013, 3:40 am

I never had any problems getting them but even though most of my vehicles have carbs I think its been a few years since I bought a kit,on the Holley carbs I usually just buy the part I need and have gaskets in stock.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky October 8th 2013, 4:57 am

I'll see what company produces the carb kits that I get. I have a box at the farm somewhere.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by 911TAZZ October 8th 2013, 5:40 am

dieseldr wrote:The only speed shop within a 2 hr drive is a "speed" shop.  Not known for its automotive performance products, but other needs can be met there.  
lol, I see . We have some of those here as well. I guess I'm spoiled, having several performance speed shops here within a couple of miles from me. Plus I have connections at several of the auto parts stores here in Cincinnati as well.
911TAZZ
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 9th 2013, 1:19 am

I've been in the service and repair business (diesel and heavy equipment) for 17 years, but carb kits are one of those things I could get at the drop of a hat anywhere, but not in the last 5 years- nobody has them. A couple drag racing connections and a roundy round guy all get them online. I'm not as forgiving toward the online dealing bit. Of course, here in NY, we even get scam callers from electric companies trying to "SLAM" you from your old electric company for pete's sake. I never thought I would let caller ID determine whether or not I answer the phone, but anymore if it is an odd area code, "unavailable", or out of area calls, the answering machine gets the nod.

I'll find some kits, soon, just needed a few suggestions. Will try a rod shop in Buffalo, or Jegs/summit if nothing happens there.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas October 9th 2013, 2:24 am

That's why I suggested RockAuto. They are online but they are legit. The guy that started it actually has a place not too far from here. I'll try to get pics posted up. It's way cool!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky October 11th 2013, 3:37 am

Hygrade is the name of the company that makes the kits that I get.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr October 11th 2013, 3:05 pm

I remember that name back in the day when we did carbs all the time. Would be tickled to find a distributor for those again. When I get the shop cleaned out for the winter's work I will get a couple holley kits form jegs, and in the meantime, try to locate a hygrade jobber. Ahhhh, those were the days- carburetors and distributors and such.... just had a word with a new auto tech student that started at the local tech U, she had never seen a dizzy or a carburetor, only in pictures.... IMAGINE THAT! I helped her out with that, we toured my stock of old engines and parts, I gave her an old 406 ford dual point to take in to show her fuel and ignition instructor. She has strict instructions to bring it back! Think of all the things on an engine that have stayed the same that we take for granted, then of all the things that have changed, and how drastically they have changed- fuel delivery and ignition being the 2 major subsystems. And how much longer lived our engines are now because of those changes.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr November 8th 2013, 1:46 am

Success on the carb kits-
Not to sound like an advertisement, but carbspec.com had all three holley kits I needed, at far less than what Jegs wanted. He even has a stash of NOS carbs numbering near 1000. Asked about motorcraft/autolite stuff- "got it". Stromberg-"got it". Rochester- "got it, and lots of NOS complete carbs for Rochester". I'll get the kits by the weekend, so I know what Saturday will be spent doing.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down