{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question for the engine builders...

3 posters

Go down

question for the engine builders... Empty question for the engine builders...

Post by Kentucky Kid August 25th 2013, 3:56 am

Overheated the 355 in the 54 today. At the least I have blown a head gasket. Assuming that is all I find once I open it up tomorrow afternoon, im going to slap some head gaskets on it and go with it.

I also have a set of mid 80's Monte SS 305 HO heads. Believe theyre the 416 variety. They have the bigger valves. They've got a mild port and polish job. Would these be an improvement over the 1989 GM 350 truck heads? Or would I be risking too high of a c/r? If im going to have the heads off anyway...

The engine is a 350, .030 over. RV cam. Edelbrock C4B intake and 1406 carb.
Thanks
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid
S.W. Ky Chapter President

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2011-03-16

Back to top Go down

question for the engine builders... Empty Re: question for the engine builders...

Post by Reb Stew August 25th 2013, 4:10 am

I thought the ports on the 305 HO were small and needed opened up? Joe may know more about these.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

question for the engine builders... Empty Re: question for the engine builders...

Post by Kentucky Kid August 25th 2013, 4:36 am

Also have a set of 305 Vortec heads...
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT August 25th 2013, 6:06 am

From my research anything is better than the chambers of truck heads lol. But i think the 416's are 58cc chambers. Which if you have flat tops would be like 9.5:1 but obviously lower if you have dished pistons. The 305 vortecs dont have the "swirl" effect like the 350's do but are comparable to the stock 416s. If the 416s have been ported and polished i would use those personally. Never built a setup like this but like i said, thats just research talking.
EdgeGT
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2013-03-23

https://www.facebook.com/david.hillii.16

Back to top Go down

Post by Kentucky Kid August 25th 2013, 2:37 pm

Thats pretty much what I've come up with too. Thanks. Looks lime head swap time.
Kentucky Kid
Kentucky Kid

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 25th 2013, 6:55 pm

From FB

Joe Leopold I tried to log in but no luck. I need to reset my password I guess. I would use the vortec heads if I was him.
3 minutes ago via mobile · 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down