{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?

3 posters

Go down

Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?  Empty Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?

Post by TAHOE August 20th 2013, 3:14 pm

Ok guys/girls....who has worked with fiberglass? I messed up the nose on my tractor over the weekend from a tree limb, needs major help. It was repaired once, but I blew all that apart. Plans are to make steel plate underneath and run counter sunk bolts through lips, then fiberglass over and skim with bondo.
Actually I would like to learn how to make a mold of this part and try to make a brand new part, anyone know how I would go about that?
Sears never made these replacement nose cones or very small amount, I could actually make some money selling if I could reproduce them, but maybe too time consuming in the end. Not sure whay they didn't make the upper nose cast aluminum like the lower section, money I guess.

Anyway here's my damage....

Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?  Tractornose2_zpsc3e6da22
Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?  Tractornose_zpsa13654e2
Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?  Tractor4_zps6ff1c3e1

Here's what a good one looks like.

Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?  Tractornose5_zpsd374f197

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?  Empty Re: Fiberglass, who knows fiberglass?

Post by ss39667chevelle May 13th 2014, 3:48 am

easy fix...go to home depot buy a fiberglass repair kit in the paint dept. sand all the paint around damaged area.. wrap the epoxy soaked cloth (supplied with the kit) to rejoin the broken pieces.....let set (mabe wrap again if you need strength) let set...sand..finish with bondo
ss39667chevelle
ss39667chevelle
new kid on the block

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post by 52 Ford F1 May 16th 2014, 3:12 am

you do not have to use steel behind it, a paint stick will work, the fiberglass is the strength and if you use something without too long of hairs it sands surprisingly easy. If you can not clamp the "support" for the fiberglass wrap, epoxy it on and let that dry before putting on the fiberglass, which you want to make sure is taught if it is a sheet and not the loose fibers.

52 Ford F1
Scrounger

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2013-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE May 16th 2014, 6:40 pm

Thanks guys, still haven't done anything with it.
I will probably still make new steel support/hinges. I had small steel angles in it before and bent them when it broke. Because of the design, even with good fiberglass, one rub up against a tree or the barn and they break.
kicker is, The Roper company made these tractors for Sears, all the Sears got fiberglass noses. Roper made their own brand for Canada and export, they all got aluminum noses, go figure!

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down