{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event

5 posters

Go down

Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event Empty Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event

Post by dieseldr January 17th 2013, 2:34 am

You know, being up here in NY in the heart of snow country, we get a little deprived along Jan/Feb for some hot rod action, and anything at all going on we have to sit down and watch it on TV..... But I have started to notice something about these events. Is it me, or are their commentary and special interest story people getting dumber and dumber? Holy cow do they say some really stupid things, at least the way I hear it. I guess they presume that everyone is completely ignorant, but they play it off such that they themselves sound like complete idiots. I usually enjoy this broadcast, not for the values (who cares, something is only worth what somebody is willing to part with), but to see stuff you don't see everyday, or even once in a lifetime... and they send some really cool stuff through too. But I am considering turning on the "mute" function and "watching" this event go by. Just amazing. I think I'll turn on a boxing match and see if a hockey game breaks out.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event Empty Re: Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event

Post by Reb Stew January 17th 2013, 5:59 am

I just can't get into it. I like looking at the cars and wow that would be nice to get that kind of cash for one but I don't see it ever happening with me.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event Empty Re: Trying to watch the Barrett Jackson event

Post by Nanook January 17th 2013, 6:37 am

BJ and Mecum just p*** me off more than anything else anymore. Between the half-twit announcers and over-inflated prices ('helping' some owners of obvious project cars think they have a gold mine and you should pay a mint for it) I just think it's a joke. Love the cars, by and large, but the rest is marshmellow fluff IMHO.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 17th 2013, 11:11 pm

OK, It's not just me then. I'll turn off the sound and look at the pretty pictures. I know the prices are a farce, but I just can't believe the commentary is so stoooopid.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 January 18th 2013, 12:18 am

I go to Mecum in Indy, if you have never been, it's a blast, and some cars sell for a good price, BUT, they have done more to drive the prices up on the cars we love, and EVERYBODY thinks his 1962 Rambler 4 door sedan is worth the same as that 68 Rambler SC, 390, 4 speed car...cause it's older, and a Rambler....oh well, rant done...
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reddogg January 18th 2013, 1:54 am

All I have to say is BJ sucks

reddogg
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr January 18th 2013, 2:10 am

I guess the auctions are self perpetuating, meaning I guess they need to do all they can to sensationalize the vehicles and the prices, cuz,lets face it, they are paid off of consignor fees and bidder fees. To that end, I guess I need to start my own auction co. So that being said, the auctions are for the people looking to use their hobby as a write off, and those who love the cars for what they are and what they can make them, need to keep their perspective, and buy where you can from other serious car lovers who know better. Unfortunately, those who don't know better feel that every street rod is worth $90,000, and every 440 six pack car is worth $105,000 and so on. Just hope you are fortunate enough that one of these "tax write off hobbyists" come knocking on your door to answer your for sale ad.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down