{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.

5 posters

Go down

Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.  Empty Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.

Post by junkyard junky October 31st 2011, 4:42 am

In the last couple of months, I've done nothing to the 52 gmc truck. Started doing some research and searching. Since itrs a 3/4 ton, I thought about just switching the rear end. Its a solid truck with a running stuck 6cyl and 4 speed.

I started doing some measuring on the rear end of the stock rear end. Its 62.25 inches width from where the wheels mount. Since junking a 88 camaro I had a while back, the rear end was laying around. So I measured it and was 62 inches.

So I wanted to see if anyone thought I would run into trouble with using the stock 6cyl and 4 speed but switch the rear end out to the camaro with a 2:73 ratio. I also found out that the front axle on a 3/4 ton is the same width as a 1/2 ton, just not as beefy. The engine seems to run good from what I can tell. I'd probably put disc brakes on the 1/2 ton front axle and match the camaro bolt pattern. Here is a link to some pictures. Any thoughts?

http://www.scroungers.net/t4426-gm-truck-in-nebraska

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.  Empty Re: Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.

Post by Arieldouglas October 31st 2011, 12:26 pm

Isn't it a "granny" 4-speed? If it is, it's probably geared pretty low anyway don't you think. That 2.73 would probably let it get over 60 MPH without slinging the bottm out of that old 6.
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.  Empty Re: Trying to figure out what to do on my 52.

Post by FalconEddie1964 October 31st 2011, 1:09 pm

Arieldouglas wrote:Isn't it a "granny" 4-speed? If it is, it's probably geared pretty low anyway don't you think. That 2.73 would probably let it get over 60 MPH without slinging the bottm out of that old 6.

If it has the Granny gear it should be OK but if it's not, it might be hard to get big heavy thing moving without killing the clutch pretty quick. I had a 64 full sized Ford wagon with a 302 and a 4 spd. When I put the 3:00 to 1 gear in it I just about killed it. It was a fine down the highway but pretty hard to take off in.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin October 31st 2011, 8:52 pm

I think you should trade it to my 49 Chevy and not worry about it! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 1st 2011, 12:17 am

Those rear ends were used up into the 60s and if you can find a center section with 3.73 gears then you wont have to change much to get it more highway friendly,A T-5 will bolt to the bellhousing too so there is another easy change that can be made.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky November 1st 2011, 3:03 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I forgot to add that one of the rear springs must of broke bak in the day and thats why the parked it. Before I bought the truck. Someone put another spring on it but its not the correct one and makes the truck sit up higher one side in the rear. Thinking about buying one of those rear spring kits.

Steve, I've gotten attached to the truck. Surprised

Jeff, Is there a tech article on the T5 install. I saw an article on the sovebolt but I didn't know if it would be the same for the gmc since there different from the chevy engines.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff November 1st 2011, 4:00 am

GMC and Chevy used the same bellhousings during those years

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down