{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My lever action 22.

4 posters

Go down

My lever action 22. Empty My lever action 22.

Post by Striping Stew 54 February 21st 2011, 5:03 am

My mom's dad gave me a lever action 22. last summer, the gun is in rough shape. I brought the thing home in peices, but me and dad are in the process of re-doing the gun. I wanted to redo the gun because its the only thing that my Grandpa Turner has given me and maybe someday it will make for some real cool wall art in my living room.

The picture below shows how it was when I got it. This thing was rough. The receiver is a cast aluminum and was pitted, scratched and beat up. All the wood was scratched and gouged up. The bottom rod was gone as was the brackets that held the foregrip and bottom rod. The hammer was broke, and all the paint was shot.

My lever action 22. 024-1

My lever action 22. 025-1

My lever action 22. 026-1
Striping Stew 54
Striping Stew 54
Scrounger

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-11-02

Back to top Go down

My lever action 22. Empty Re: My lever action 22.

Post by Striping Stew 54 February 21st 2011, 5:16 am

Dad found a bottom rod, and cut it down for the gun. I will have to find some thin metal to hold my foregrip and another for the lower rod. I stripped the gun down, and got most of the nasty stuff taken care of today. Air sanded the wood, and used the die ginder to smooth out the rough aluminum housing receiver. The pitts in the receiver were real bad. It took a while to get it all smoothed out. We did a little bit of hand sanding on the receiver. After we seen how it truned out we're not going to piant the receiver back black we're going to poilsh it to a chrome finish.

Next comes the hard work. Hand sainding all the wood with different grit sand paper and then the stain. Then on to sanding and polishing the aluminum. We kind of stuck the gun back together to see what it would look like.

My lever action 22. 027

My lever action 22. 028-1

My lever action 22. 029

My lever action 22. 037

My lever action 22. 035-1

Striping Stew 54
Striping Stew 54
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Striping Stew 54 February 21st 2011, 5:16 am

I'll post more pictures as more gets done.
Striping Stew 54
Striping Stew 54
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 21st 2011, 6:05 am

scratch This single shot .22 lever action looked like it was 100 years old when Corey brought it in. After a little research it's not that old. I'm not sure why it was in that rough of shape or even where Amy's dad got it from. It was a big deal to him to give it to Corey and I guess a big deal to Corey too. If it wasn't for it being a hand me down I would have cut it up and pitched it in the garbage. The inside of the barrel and the receiver looks really good. I'm not sure if someone oiled the rifle up inside and then just left it in a damp basement or what. I've never seen one this rough but the guts are ok. The top of the hammer was broke off. I re-shaped it and formed it to look a little better. If you never knew it was broke you couldn't tell it. Corey will need two bands to hold the foregrip and the rod. I'm going to see if he can shape them the way they need to be. If he can't I'll do it for him. We used the last of my sandpaper tonight. He will have to buy some more before anymore works gets done.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis February 21st 2011, 6:57 am

Looks good. Good work Corey!
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by 6-71Kid February 23rd 2011, 3:56 am

That thing is starting to look really good.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down