{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha.

+3
Crucial
junkyard junky
RebStew
7 posters

Go down

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. Empty Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha.

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 9:37 pm

I love the lines of a 49 fastback. There are only two things that really bug me and that is the wheel arch in the front and the tail lights. I still have a long way to go before I deal with them but just wondering what some of you think.
To me the tail lights stink. Bad shape and in the wrong spot.
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 007-7

RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. Empty Re: Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha.

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 9:44 pm

You know me. I'm not beyond cutting anything up. Spo extending the 1/4 or frenching something in is no big deal. The back will be cleaned up. None of that bumper guards or chrome trim will be on her.
I'll post a few pics up and if you like one let me know.
I thought about this before I seen the picture. This is the stock lens moved over frenched in the body. After looking at it I'm not so sure.
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. V
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. Empty Re: Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha.

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 9:47 pm

Another thought was using the 59 Cadi or a trailer cone light lens and french them in to the top. Kind of like a early Corvette but all metal no chrone under the lens like a Vetts
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. P2050013
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. P2050034

The owner got a little carried away on this one but figured I'd add it. The longer Cadi light would look better in this one.
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 4920Chevy20Progress20December200520009
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 9:50 pm

Cadi lights are so over done that I don't like the looks of them but just about everything is overdone to me now a days. Nothing original. So picking something that just looks subtle and right is the key sometimes.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 9:52 pm

This is my first choice so far. I like the idea. Taking the lights all the way off the body and running them in a set of bumper guards.
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 547527824_1937916528_0
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 9:53 pm

The nice simple 50 Pontiac tail lights may have a palce too. They are simple and round and could be used in a few place.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 10:02 pm

One I really like but I think it's the madness in me wanting to do it is a Ford tailight. I like it a lot but I think I want the challenge of putting them on more than the lights. The body would have to be reshaped to make them work. I like the idea of chopping it up more than the looks of the lights I think. I like the lights but it's a toss up.
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 400px-Don-ferrera-1949-ford2
Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 1949_Ford_tudor_King_Kustoms_chop_124

RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 10:03 pm

If I did the Ford tail lights and body line they would sit lower in the body.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 27th 2010, 11:37 pm

Any thoughts, likes, dislikes?
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky December 28th 2010, 1:29 am

I like the taillights in the bumoer guards. Here is my friend's chevy with the poncho lights.

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. Done014

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Crucial December 28th 2010, 1:37 am

i've always been a fan of the 58ish corvette taillights on that body style personally

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 1958%20Corvette-13
Crucial
Crucial
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 28th 2010, 2:16 am

Crucial wrote:i've always been a fan of the 58ish corvette taillights on that body style personally

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. 1958%20Corvette-13
Those are pretty cool.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 28th 2010, 2:19 am

junkyard junky wrote:I like the taillights in the bumoer guards. Here is my friend's chevy with the poncho lights.

Tail light swap on the 49 Chevy, Big Bertha. Done014
If I used the Poncho lights they would be frenched in just a bit and either an inch or two more towards the middle or out on the ends of the 1/4's frenched in. I like the simple Pontiac lights but they are just as bad as the 59 Cadi. Everyone has used them. There is more than likely more Cadi and Poncho lights on the road now than the factory produced on the real car.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 28th 2010, 2:20 am

I'd love to have that back bumper!
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyard junky December 28th 2010, 2:45 am

RebStew wrote:I'd love to have that back bumper!

He got the bumpers off ebay. Someone was reproducing the one piece bumpers.

junkyard junky
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1143
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Moparcowboy December 28th 2010, 3:27 am

Caddy bullets with chrome on bottom rocks!

Moparcowboy
Car washer

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU December 28th 2010, 6:05 pm

Saw a thread on the H.A.M.B where a guy did a bunch of metal work and used frasier lights & rear bumper. Looked very good.

I'm not a fan of the lights in the bumper guard or the originals frenched in.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 December 28th 2010, 6:36 pm

The lights in the bumper are hard to see from behind in the sun light and people following are not expecting lights there. They look cool but could lead to problems. Also it makes the rear of the car appear unfinished w/o lights. I saw one of those old Chevys someplace with a set of 56 Clipper lenses with the rear qtrs exyended a little. They weren't mounted upright in the normal position but upside down and laid back so they followed the contour of the rear qtr. That way the point was pointing down and towards the rear bumper. I don't remember if I saw it on a web site or someplace like the Pileup or the Detroit car show. It was really different and swoopy looking. That coupled with a 56 Chevy seamless rear bumper would be pretty cool and unique. Just an thought...........or my $.02
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by oldman December 28th 2010, 8:33 pm

What about 58 chevy tailights turn sideways.
oldman
oldman
Master mechanic

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2010-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 28th 2010, 10:36 pm

No one likes the Ford lights? lol
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew December 28th 2010, 10:41 pm

oldman wrote:What about 58 chevy tailights turn sideways.
Good idea but they are a little big.
As Doug was saying about the back end looking unfinished? I kind of always liked that look. Just clean. I don't see it as unfinished, just clean. I think I seen the car or one like it Doug that had those lights flipped. It looked good for sure. I may pull the 1/4 back some depending on what light I use. it's just metal. If I don't like it I can cut whatever back out. Whatever I use has to flow with the body. I have seen Packard lights and other fins welded on the top 1/4's I don't like that look at all. She has to flow. Smile
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down