{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new tv show

+2
JRiggs
jbs10
6 posters

Go down

new tv show  Empty new tv show

Post by jbs10 November 6th 2010, 12:09 am

some one check it out tell us how it is love the name..www.ratrodtv.com.
channel 354 direct tv..thursday and sunday its called rat rod tv..
if you dont have dirrect tv like me go to the web site can see some of it from youtube.
jbs10
jbs10
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1184
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Back to top Go down

new tv show  Empty Re: new tv show

Post by JRiggs November 6th 2010, 12:30 am

that sure is a perty helmet to go along with his perty shirt. lol
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by jbs10 November 6th 2010, 12:47 am

jbs10
jbs10
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 November 6th 2010, 1:10 am

I thought they didn't like the name rat rod...
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jbs10 November 6th 2010, 2:56 am

who..........
jbs10
jbs10
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU November 6th 2010, 4:07 am

Not good really. This will screw up the ability of the average guy to find and buy this stuff at reasonable prices and build it without having a lot of cash invested. Of course, he claimed he had $15 Grand in this one and that probably didn't include the value of any of the work.

I did like the discussion about the windshield wiper and how it wasn't really a rat rod because of it.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Number of posts : 746
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 6th 2010, 4:28 am

It may be fun to watch but listening to the guy talk about building it so that it's wrong? With gaps not right and unfinished this or that come ON! ??? A rat that cost 15K?? I like the truck but the guys does have some skills There are alot of stuff that most wouldn't catch on there. The windshield, cut down grill and a few more cool things. I just don't get how it's cool to be wrong. Building a beater out of junk or just driving something and having road rash is cool to me but I could not do custom work such as alot of stuff that is on that truck and then say it's built the wrong way. The tags in the fllor are overdone. Yeah they used signs in the floors. I had a few stop signs in one or two but they where not matching tags running throughout the floor, doors and whereever. I'd like to watch it to see some cars but I still just can't get past the drama of look at what I have a rat rod.

Last edited by RebStew on November 6th 2010, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by jbs10 November 6th 2010, 4:57 am

i can see him haveing 1500 in that truck easy..hell i got over 3000
in mine and look at it oh yeh plus 200 in in just dam nuts and bolts
from sears.i will be prod to call it a rat rod when and if i ever get it done ...i wachted all of them thay had on youtube and loveed how they make fun of it ..so what do u call a rat rod.....
jbs10
jbs10
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 6th 2010, 5:08 am

I call a rat rod something that is not well built and is unsafe and they sit under peoples barns when they build them because they are too unsafe to drive. That dude didn't have $1500.oo in that truck he had $15,000.oo I do agree it's a cool ride but if it takes you 15K to build it you are farming out work or just have too much money.
I wouldn't call your truck a rat rod. Maybe a beater. But that's pushing it to. Hell to use the term the way they do we all drove rat rods when we were kids and most of us still do. I just don't like the term being used on real hot rods which to me is what we drive.
You want me to show you a rat rod we can drive up to Water works Rd and you can see it again. Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs November 6th 2010, 5:39 am

fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

now thats a rat rod......
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 6th 2010, 3:16 pm

Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Vickers November 6th 2010, 4:05 pm

jbs10 your truck can b a ratrod or a hotrod its up 2 you now theres a guy on rt 9 hes got a 33 rat rod with a rust paint job its in a shed good looken car hes got other ratrods with trophies 2 prove it... jbs10 make it what u want dont let a guy change your mind cuz he dont like the word ratrod
Vickers
Vickers
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 6th 2010, 4:09 pm

No one is trying to change what anyone builds. I love Johnny's truck. I just want to see them driving down the road without worry of falling through the floor and being ran over by their own car..

Last edited by RebStew on November 6th 2010, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 6th 2010, 4:25 pm

Just for the record here folks. I know how some people take things wrong on the computer. I'm just funnin' I don't care what you call your car/truck. Rat, hot rod, beater show queen whatever. It's your ride call it whatever you want. Some people think I get a little crazy over the term rat. Maybe I do but it's really not that big of a deal to me as some people think. To me I drive hot rods. Is there a such thing as a rat rod? Sure. But the meaning to me is a pile of junk. The term started with bikers before most of us were born. If you had a rat it was a pile of junk scooter that was made to look like it was falling apart. Which most of the time it was. No paint, Dents with something to scare the little ol' ladies when they seen it with F%$# Off or Nazi emblems hand painted on. Sad to see the F#$@ Off has come back into style too.
So I hope no one gets their panties in a bunch it is not personal attack against anyone. I wouldn't even call Vickers car a rat rod if he wasn't so proud that he built it and is proud of the name. One of his famous quotes he always said is( It's so wrong it's right. That should tell ya something.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU November 6th 2010, 6:27 pm

A rose by any other name would still be a rose - except in this case.

Looks like maybe the purist definition of a rat rod has been lost in the more modern application of the term.

As I search around on the net and look at forums devoted to the rat rod, it appears to have evolved into a car or truck that has an unfinished appearance or an unfinished or cobbled look on a car or truck that is minimalist, but fully driveable and safe to drive. It's still intended to apply to the guy doing the work in his back yard or garage at his house by taking a car/truck, usually 50's or older, and bringing it to life by piecing it together with whatever he can find that can be cut, welded, or bolted together to make a hot rod with the look of a rat rod.

That being said, I still think the issue has been lost here. What is happening with the new TV show is the commercialization of a hobby to create businesses that profit from it. There are and will be more commercial shops that can build your back-yard rat rod for you for a price, and these commercial interests will snap up cars and trucks and pieces and parts therefore making them more scarce and forcing the prices beyond the wallett of the back yard hobbyist.

That's what Barrett's has done to the whole car hobby. The average guy can't afford to buy one now because everyone sees how much a concourse car went for on Barrett's & assumes his is worth just as much. That ridiculously priced Falcon on Ebay is a prime example of the insanity caused by the commercialization of the hobby we're all devoted to.

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by jbs10 November 6th 2010, 7:34 pm

yah..........what he said........... jocolor
jbs10
jbs10
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 6th 2010, 7:57 pm

Ken has a way with words doesn't he. lol We need a spokeman around here that can articulate is word better than me.
I do agree Ken. This has been going on no matter what fad comes up. Kind of like the dealer spending 15K on a 84 Caprice with 24" wheels. I'm sure it's an easy way to blow drug money and now you have shops set up to do the work. Now that these shops are open you find car that could once be had on the cheap are going for crazy money. Any G body. Monte Carlo SS, Olds ect ect, Caprices or anything from the 60's or 70's that are long cars. When I see a nice Monte or an old 60's car pull in down the street I freak out inside because he and his son owns one of the shops. I know within a month it will be lifted 4' in the air with a set of 24" wheels on it. The donks have driven the prices up on some cars that could be made into cool cruisers or hot rods
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU November 6th 2010, 8:15 pm

Actually Steve, I've read and enjoyed a lot of things written by you on the forum and everyone on the forum knows you articulate yourself quite well.
Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-YOU November 6th 2010, 10:54 pm

Z-YOU
Z-YOU
BANNED