{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member?

4 posters

Go down

Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member? Empty Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member?

Post by RustyKarr May 20th 2008, 4:47 am

I'm wanting to change my gear ratio in the back of my ford and wanted to know if anyone knew of any websites with a "How to article"?

Thanks,
Chad

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member? Empty changeing a third member

Post by big dogs 42 May 20th 2008, 7:01 am

Give me a call on my cell and and ill tell you step by step how to change it. 859-835-4770 Ive did a few before Lord love them fords!!! Very Happy :pirat:
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member? Empty Re: Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member?

Post by RebStew May 20th 2008, 7:04 am

RustyKarr wrote:I'm wanting to change my gear ratio in the back of my ford and wanted to know if anyone knew of any websites with a "How to article"?

Thanks,
Chad
As long as it's the same spline it should be an easy swap. take the wheels off, pull the drums and there is a hole between your studs. spin the axle around until you get to a bolt, stick a socket through the hole and unbolt, 4 bolts in all I think.
slide the axle out of the housing about a foot and let it hang there.
drop the drive shaft, unbolt the third member and pull it out. have to have a pan to catch your gear oil.
Get a new gasket from KOI
take the new third member with the highway gear and stick it on and reverse the take off and there you have it.
Did I leave anything out guys???
Yeah. refill with new gear oil!
Did I miss anything guys?
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member? Empty changeing the rear end

Post by big dogs 42 May 20th 2008, 7:44 am

yeah you forgot to tell him to count the teeth on the axil splines some are 31 and some are 28 and you cant change the third member with out the right number of splines on the axels cause they have to mate up with each other. So pull a axel and check it with your new third member before you break it all the way down!! not trying to be a smart elick just trying to help ! good luck Very Happy Cool
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member? Empty Re: Changing a Ford 9 Inch third member?

Post by FalconEddie1964 May 20th 2008, 2:07 pm

Yeah, don't the trucks have the 31 spline axles and the cars have the 28? Aren't they the same otherwise? I know the wagons have the bigger axles like a truck but the same spline as the cars. Jeff and I learned that when we going to do a quick axle swap because my axle bearings were about to fall out. Had to leave the old wagon on blocks for a few days.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down