{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1961 Impala 454 Build

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1961 Impala 454 Build - Page 2 Empty Re: 1961 Impala 454 Build

Post by vettespd20 December 31st 2013, 4:49 am

I am having the frame plated with steel,  as well as extra frame rails installed connecting the front and rear (outer edge where the X section is) to make it a solid frame. (its actually a pretty simple process, and since the body will be off the frame its a couple days max of work to be done to have what I want. I am also (was going to no matter what I put this motor in) have a one piece solid drive shaft built for this build, no 2 piece junk. These additions are very simple and actually cheap. If you google RED SLED PROJECT (horsepower TV) did a complete show on this exact process. The pic below is a OLDS frame which is pretty much the same as mine will look besides I will have the frame plated as well, which will beef this bad boy up.
1961 Impala 454 Build - Page 2 <a href=1961 Impala 454 Build - Page 2 Photo910" />

vettespd20
Car washer

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-12-22

http://www.fumblerecoveryllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop December 31st 2013, 3:01 pm

vettespd20 wrote:I am having the frame plated with steel,  as well as extra frame rails installed connecting the front and rear (outer edge where the X section is) to make it a solid frame. (its actually a pretty simple process, and since the body will be off the frame its a couple days max of work to be done to have what I want. I am also (was going to no matter what I put this motor in) have a one piece solid drive shaft built for this build, no 2 piece junk. These additions are very simple and actually cheap. If you google RED SLED PROJECT (horsepower TV) did a complete show on this exact process. The pic below is a OLDS frame which is pretty much the same as mine will look besides I will have the frame plated as well, which will beef this bad boy up.
1961 Impala 454 Build - Page 2 %3Ca%20href=1961 Impala 454 Build - Page 2 Photo910" />
years ago we did a 58 biscayne 427 project, it turned out to be wicked fast and a very solid car too

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop December 31st 2013, 3:01 pm

belair sorry folks

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff December 31st 2013, 11:28 pm

I bought a 59 Olds for the drivetrain many years ago and thought it had both a perimeter and x frame.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by vettespd20 January 1st 2014, 5:40 am

I have been doing a lot of research and from what I have been reading the x frame design isn't a huge issue (since I am doing a frame off restore I will secure it the ways previously mentioned) its more the carrier bearing and drive shaft design. Again I don't see this being to big of a setback for me since I am already doing a frame off restore and will have a perfect chance to change and secure things with out need a roll cage.

vettespd20
Car washer

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2013-12-22

http://www.fumblerecoveryllc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff January 2nd 2014, 4:28 am

If I can remember correctly the rear half of the driveshaft does not have a slip yoke like on a truck and I think that is part of the problem,the carrier bearing might be a little on the weak side too and I think the thing to do is get it setup like a truck and should have no problems.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 2nd 2014, 5:04 am

That's what I did. I had to have a slip yoke set up made. If the car sits stock and you install the carrier bearing at ride height then it will last. Problem I had with mine is it was super low to the ground and I had air shocks on it to get it over speed bumps and stuff. Once you raised it 3" or just the float from the weak springs it put the carrier in a bind.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew January 2nd 2014, 5:07 am

You can put a one piece driveshaft in them but you have to do some work of the frame. Running the rails down the side can be done too but the picture above really doesn't show what is involved. The front is easy when you tie into the back the control arms are right there and the rear spring pockets are in the way. the picture above shows the spring inboard but stick they are right where you want to tie into it. It can be done just have to move some stuff.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2