{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I must be getting old

3 posters

Go down

I must be getting old Empty I must be getting old

Post by junkyardjeff October 5th 2013, 3:39 am

Took the 66 F250 on a 300 mile road trip last weekend and when I got home I felt like I just got off a couple hundred mile motorcycle ride so it got me doing some thinking,I was thinking about selling it and buying a later model 1/2 to drive but I spent over 4 years working on it so I am thinking of converting it to a 1/2 ton. I never have driven it more then 50 miles before I started working on it and the last time I put any miles in a 3/4 ton was back in the mid 80s when I was still in my 20s,I have all the parts in stock to change the front suspension to a 1/2 ton and all I would need is a 65/66 F100 9 inch and rear springs and know where plenty are. When I started the build I thought there was a AOD that would bolt to the 460 but it is the E4OD that is computer controlled which will get expensive,no matter what I do its going to be expensive to put o/d behind that motor so changing over to a 1/2 ton with a 9 inch will let me experiment with gear ratios and wont need a o/d,its going to need tires as they were hard and shook me a bunch so I think its time to give up keeping it a 3/4 ton and make it more enjoyable since I have most of the parts in stock to do the swap. I should of put a 351-w and AOD in it but it was hard to turn down a fresh 460 and C-6 for 500 dollars and still can but I love the torque of the big block.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

I must be getting old Empty Re: I must be getting old

Post by Arieldouglas October 5th 2013, 4:03 am

The later models have the springs set up so they ride like a car till you put a load in them. Then they pick it up and do what a TRUCK is supposed to do. My F-350 rides like a dream running empty as long as I remember to let the tires down to 45 or 50 lbs. put the trailer on it and kick the pressure up to 80 lbs and we're good to go!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff October 5th 2013, 5:58 am

My 66 is the opposite as it rides rough until loaded,I finally came to my senses that I will probably never load it to the weight it was designed to carry. I was told that since its a camper special its basicly a one ton and I dont need that heavy of a truck and my back cant handle it any more,I think I can do the conversion for around 300 dollars except for the tires and its cheaper then buying another truck. I do not have a truck that I can go any distance if the need arises so I have to do something,I do have the bronco but would need a trailer so I have all winter to figure it out.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE October 8th 2013, 3:00 pm

What about updated and changing over to some later model cusshioney seats? I know it will change the original look of interior, but maybe an option...????
Yes, since it is a camper special, it's got some heavy duty stuff under it.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff October 9th 2013, 4:21 am

I have a early 90s XLT seat that should bolt it that I am going to reupholster this winter and see how it does,I had two of those seats but were in 1/2 tons that I could drive to Florida and no issues. I will never haul to its capacity so I am going to soften up the ride a bit too.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum