{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P Carroll Shelby

+2
Reb Stew
JRiggs
6 posters

Go down

R.I.P Carroll Shelby Empty R.I.P Carroll Shelby

Post by JRiggs May 11th 2012, 10:11 pm

Sad

Rest in Peace
R.I.P Carroll Shelby 5shelb10
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

R.I.P Carroll Shelby Empty Re: R.I.P Carroll Shelby

Post by Reb Stew May 11th 2012, 10:13 pm

I never heard anything about him passing. Wow.. When did this happen? A true icon that moved the world in hot rodding in the right direction.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by stretch May 11th 2012, 10:21 pm

an iconic man a legend in his own lifetime R.I.P

stretch
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2010-12-22

http://arnoldjason@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs May 11th 2012, 10:21 pm

Carroll Shelby, the charismatic Texan who parlayed a short-lived racing career into a specialized business building high-performance, street-legal cars, died Thursday. He was 89.

Shelby died at Baylor Hospital in Dallas, according to an announcement by his company, Carroll Shelby Licensing. A cause was not disclosed.

He led a colorful, outsized life that touched virtually every corner of the automotive world, said Leslie Kendall, curator of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

“He was the only individual to influence the designs of all three major American automakers. Everything he touched became legendary,” Kendall said. “Even recently he was working on an experimental engine.”

Living in the fast lane was a matter of fact for Shelby, who designed the cult-classic Shelby Cobras and Ford’s Shelby Mustang.

He raced cars. He had a heart transplant from a Las Vegas gambler in 1990 and a kidney transplant from a son in 1996. He was married seven times.

While trying to fend off an anticipated heart attack, he drove in a 200-mile race in 1960 with nitroglycerin pills underneath his tongue, finishing third at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey.

“If I hadn't slowed down each time I popped one of those pills, I might have won,” he said, then announced his retirement as a driver later that year after clinching the U.S. Road Racing championship series at Riverside International Speedway.

Five years earlier he had replaced a plastic cast on his broken elbow with a fiberglass one and had his hand taped to the steering wheel so he could help Phil Hill drive a Ferrari to second place in a 12-hour race at Sebring, Fla.

“Carroll Shelby is one of the most recognized names in performance car history, and he's been successful at everything he's done,” said Edsel B. Ford II, member of the board of directors of Ford Motor Co.and great-grandson of Henry Ford, founder of the company. “Whether helping Ford dominate the 1960s racing scene, to building some of the most famous Mustangs, his enthusiasm and passion for great automobiles over six decades has truly inspired everyone who worked with him.”

Shelby most recently collaborated with the automaker on the 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang, which has 650 horsepower, making it the most powerful production V-8 engine in the world.
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs May 11th 2012, 10:29 pm

R.I.P Carroll Shelby Mustan10

who would have thought a dodge omni.
R.I.P Carroll Shelby Glh-s10

JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 May 11th 2012, 10:41 pm

The automotive world not only lost an icon but a real character. I've read a lot of the stories about him and they're really interesting. I knew he was very ill because he wasn't at the Barrett-Jackson Auction. He's about always been there promoting his latest edition of some extremely quick Mustang like the Super Snake. He did so much for childern with heart desease. That tough old Texan will truly be missed. RIP Carroll Shelby.
FalconEddie1964
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1387
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis May 11th 2012, 10:42 pm

He never stopped working on cars. Never let age stop him. Pretty cool if you as me. A true loss.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellvis May 12th 2012, 2:48 am

HUGE loss.
Hellvis
Hellvis
Grease monkey