{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford 9" questions

5 posters

Go down

Ford 9" questions Empty Ford 9" questions

Post by magicman_1968 April 22nd 2011, 11:19 pm

Im looking a maybe buying a 9" rearend housing made to fit the G-body chevy....i found a decent price on the housing with axles and bearing....i want to find a third member to just put in it to get it going and then i will spend the money to get a posi and the gear i want for it.....My question to you guys that have experiance with the Fords (1) what is the common spline size on the 9" axles because i want to have a couple third members set up for a quick swap when i want to. So i want to make sure that when i order the housing and axles that i get the right spline because i think when looked they offered a couple different sizes. (2) will chevy backing plates bolt on there or will i have to get all Ford hardware. The axles will be drilled for the chevy bolt pattern. They offer a brake package for around 3 hundred but was just wondering if i could go any cheaper way. Also if anyone has a third member to sell let me know. Any gear, open or posi thanks Joe
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Ford 9" questions Empty Re: Ford 9" questions

Post by junkyardjeff April 23rd 2011, 12:35 am

28 splines are the most common and you will have to use the Ford brakes unless someone makes a kit.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 April 23rd 2011, 1:04 am

junkyardjeff wrote:28 splines are the most common and you will have to use the Ford brakes unless someone makes a kit.
ok the axles they list are 31 spline but they say 28,33,and 35 are available....thanks jeff
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by TurboPinto April 23rd 2011, 1:19 pm

Depending on who you are dealing with, the axles are the same price up to 35 spline. So, the bigger, the better. The only thing is, I don't know of anything available for 33 spline except for a spool, and the only thing that I know of for the 35 spline other than a spool is a Detroit Locker($500+). With the 31 spline, you have a lot of choices. Avoid 28 spline at all costs. I broke a 28 with my 4 banger. It was a factory axle, but still not a strong piece.
TurboPinto
TurboPinto
Floor sweep

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2009-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by rainman April 23rd 2011, 4:46 pm

What are you planning on doing with it? 28's or 31 spline would be more thatn adequate for street use. When you get into the other splines you're not going to find used (junkyard) gears to accept them very easy!!
If it were me and it wasn't a full blown race car I would stick with the 28 spline, they are the easiest to find.
Stock gears would be:

There may be more but those I'm sure of!!!

rainman
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew April 23rd 2011, 7:40 pm

He's looking for something strong. It has a hot engine and first time down the track it blew the stock rear.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rainman April 23rd 2011, 11:06 pm

Know the approximate Horsepower?
Tires, slicks, street?

rainman
wrench fetcher

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 April 24th 2011, 12:00 am

rainman wrote:Know the approximate Horsepower?
Tires, slicks, street?
Its just a mild 355 with 100 shot of spray.....cruiser with street tires but run slicks at the track....the factory 7.5 rearends are just so weak and i wanna put something under it i can beat on in the future if i ever want to upgrade the engine any....
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 April 24th 2011, 12:05 am

TurboPinto wrote: Depending on who you are dealing with, the axles are the same price up to 35 spline. So, the bigger, the better. The only thing is, I don't know of anything available for 33 spline except for a spool, and the only thing that I know of for the 35 spline other than a spool is a Detroit Locker($500+). With the 31 spline, you have a lot of choices. Avoid 28 spline at all costs. I broke a 28 with my 4 banger. It was a factory axle, but still not a strong piece.
Thanks Kevin...i agree about the 28 spline because the 7.5 are available in 26 and 28 spline and they both break....the 31 is what i believe i will go with...Do you know if the brakes and backing plates of an 8.8 rearend out a 70 or 71 mustang work on the 9" housing? Someone Mikie knows has one laying around
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 24th 2011, 12:35 am

There are two different 9 inches housings,small and large bearing and the 8 inch brakes from a 8 inch will work on the small bearing 9 inch housing. Large bearing housings were in 1/2 ton trucks/vans and wagons and the others got the small bearing housings.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 April 24th 2011, 1:06 am

junkyardjeff wrote:There are two different 9 inches housings,small and large bearing and the 8 inch brakes from a 8 inch will work on the small bearing 9 inch housing. Large bearing housings were in 1/2 ton trucks/vans and wagons and the others got the small bearing housings.
Ok the add says big bearings so thats that....thanks for all the imput guys because like i said i have no clue whats what when it comes to the Ford stuff
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 April 24th 2011, 1:14 am

magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff April 24th 2011, 1:37 am

Since you are playing with some power it looks like you will be spending some money if you want different gear sets that you can slap in with the better axles,not many junkyard options for you. The 70s trucks had 31 spline axles and are more common then in the cars,my 65 country squire has the big bearings but 28 splines. There is no way to tell if a rear end has 31 splines except for pulling a axle and counting,my recommendation for you is to go with 31 spline axles and figure out what ratios you want and start looking at 70s 1/2 tons with bigblocks and you shold be able to come up with gears for 31 splines but not all were had positraction.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Back to top Go down

Post by rainman April 24th 2011, 2:39 am

Most of the midsize cars are 28, a lot but not all trucks are 31. If it were me I would stay away from the other splines, you won't find anything cheap to fit! Either one should be plenty of strength for what you're doing, hope I helped a little. Everything these other guy's said is all good info!!

rainman
wrench fetcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down