{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more.

+2
LRS30
RebStew
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. Empty Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more.

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:20 am

I went up into Ohio to pick up some parts for the work truck. Cool little town. I seen this wall painting and knew there had to be something laying around. I still hear people say that you can't find these old cars. I never go any place without running into something. You just have to go down the road less traveled.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 036-1

One block away is this old Mavrick. I know, it's a Mavrick. When was the last time you saw one.(KEEP THAT IN MIND)
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 037-1
Poncho
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 038
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. Empty Re: Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more.

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:21 am

Few more blocks and I run into these trucks.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 040-1
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 039
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. Empty Re: Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more.

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:23 am

This shop was full of stuff. Nice guy. He let me walk around the shop by myself and snap a few pics. He had a little of everything. Tons of truck stuff. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 068

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 063

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 065

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 067

RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:26 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 060

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 059

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 062

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 057
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:27 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 056

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 052

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 055

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 047

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 053
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:28 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 046
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 049

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 044-1

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 043-1
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:29 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 042-1

A second red 'Stang.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 041
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:34 am

I drove out of town and hit a back road. I ended up on Old State Rt 32, I think it was. I seen this Chevelle and stopped to see if it was for sale. It wasn't. He has own the cars 20 or more years.

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 079

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 080

I talked to the guy for a while. He said he was going to register and wouldn't mind joining in on some club runs thins summer. Here is the other car is is working on. It's sitting on a shortened S10 frame.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 077
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 078
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:35 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 076
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 075
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 074
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 073
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:35 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 072
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 071
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 070
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:37 am

I drive about a mile up the road and here's a couple more.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 089
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 082
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 084

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 083
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 086
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 087
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 088

Last edited by RebStew on March 4th 2011, 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:39 am

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 085

This 'glass jeep body was with the stuff above.

It just goes to show you that there is still stuff to be had. Just look. I took off back to Ky and still seen a few more before going home.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:44 am

These two are around the block from Joey
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 093
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 092

Couger on Central in Newport.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 095

I sure a lot of you remember this 67 Charger. It's on it's way to the shreader. If you know someone that needs any parts it won't be long before it's all gone. Yeah this is the one from Rt 8 in Silver Grove. It's at Chuck's place if you need anything.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 096

I walk into the parking lot and this thing is sitting there. Two in one day. Pretty sad shape but it did have all the AC stuff still on it.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 097
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 098

Last edited by RebStew on March 4th 2011, 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew March 4th 2011, 12:46 am

These trucks are nothing new but they just looked cool sitting there so I snapped a picture. Randy Turners stuff.
Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 099 Very Happy
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 4th 2011, 3:22 am

Those Mavericks have the right size rear=end for a Model-A and the roofs have a nice crown to use as a filler panel on the roof too..
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 4th 2011, 3:58 am

man those pooch's dont look to happy that ur taken pics of their poncho.....
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 4th 2011, 4:00 am

must be one of them there rat rods everyones adoin.

Old iron in Williamsburg Ohio and more. 065
Razz lol!
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 March 4th 2011, 9:20 pm

I'd love to find a 62-64 FWD F-100 like some of those.....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 13th 2011, 10:40 am

Dear group;
I wouldn't cut up a good Maverick for the simple fact that they make EXCELLENT sleepers for short money. years before the Chevy Vega/Monza & Poncho Sunbirds became popular sleepers, the Maverick and it's cousin, the Mercuury Comet, were the platforms of choice for sleepers.

Much like the Willys coupe of yesterday, the Mavericks were successful sleeper rides because of a number of factors:

Ford must have built a gadzillion Mavericks. They were everywhere and thus unassuming. In other words, they didn't look wicked or menacing, which is necessary for a successful sleeper.

They were uber-cheap. Because Ford tagged the base model Maverick at 1,995$, this meant that used car sales were also extremely cheap. For example, I bought a running 73 Maverick in 1980 for 50$.

All Mavericks came from the factory with an I-6 engine. Because of this, the engine compartments were very roomy for an auto that was classified as a compact car.

They were lightweight for their time. At under 3,000 lbs. driven off of the showroom floor, the Mavericks were among the lightest American economy car offerings. This made life easier later on down the road for building a sleeper.

If, like me, you wanted a ride that could compete with the Camaros and Mustang fastbacks on the street scene during the late 70s and early 80s, but were strapped for cash, then the Maverick was the ticket to fast times. In short, a kid could wrangle a LOT of bang for the buck with a bit of scheming.

Here's what we'd do. After obtaining a Maverick for next to nothing, we'd promptly tear out the I-6 engine along with it's supporting transmission and stuff a stock 302 or 351 (along with it's supporting drivetrain) in it's place. Since the 190 CID I-6 engine shared the same dimensional mountings as the small to mid sized Ford V-8 family, fabricating new motor mounts was not necessary.

And because of the Maverick's roomy engine compartment, very little trimming was necessary for a nice fit. As I recall, a bit of judicious pounding on the tranny tunnel with a small sledge was all that was needed for for the tranny to clear and a few minutes with some tinsnips to the inner fenderwells was all that was needed for the exhausts and VOILA! INSTANT FUN!

Then, after radiusing the rear fenderwells for wider rear meats, point that badboy down the boulevard and get ready to hang on for dear life!

Instead of sinking untold amounts of cash into a 'Stang fastback or a Camaro, we'd have what amounted to what was basically a disposable hot rod. For well under 500 skins, we could run with the very best of the bad boys while keeping the money situation firmly in hand.

With a stock engine and a decent pair of mags, we had wheelstanders for far less than it would have cost to buy an engineless Camaro or Mustang. By swapping money for some creativeness and a bit of ingenuity, we could compete with those high dollar rides and make them look silly in the process.

Ahhhh, the bad ol' days of hot rodding....
Your friend;
LAMAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 13th 2011, 5:53 pm

I bought a new V8 Maverick in '73, put a top loader in it and a glass snorkel hood but it never pulled the wheels. It was probably a good 16 second car.
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 13th 2011, 9:15 pm

Dear Mr. Fabulous;
It sounds like you had the same problem as I did. The only R&P ratio available for the Maverick/Comets were 2.79:1, 2.83:1 (one year model only, but I can't recall which year) and 3.00:1, none of which were conductive to quick launches.

I eventually resolved this problem by building everything on my first Maverick to *Cobra jet* specs, which included swapping out the worthless 7.5" rear diff with a 8.8" diff that came with a 3.91:1 R&P. As I recall, the installed rear diff with like 3/4" wider than the Maverick rear diff, which wasn't even a real consideration.

Coupled with the mildly worked over 351C and tranny out of yet another trashed 'Stang I think the best time I clocked on that Maverick with around 15 seconds, which was right in line with the factory powered Cobra Jets of the era.

As I remember it, I bought a tired 351C for 250.00$ that came with a truly horrendous Torker manifold/wayyyy too big Holly carb package on it. I pulled the oversized Holly off and replaced it with a Carter AFB and that solved that particular issue. I sold the double pumper and kept the intake.

The guy that sold the engine to me also swore that it had a Crane (or Crower or something) cam in it, but when I tore it down I discovered that it was a stocker cam. Sad

Oh well, I had been lied to before so I put an Isky in it with a slightly longer duration and stock lobe lift. By milling the heads to square them up with the rest of the world and installing thinner head gaskets I was able to increase my CR to around 11:1 which was good with the premium gas at the pumps in those days.

I crowded a lot of lead into the timing which then necessitated pulling the stock 2 core radiator out and hauling it down to the local radiator shop to have a 4 core installed. This solved it's overheating issues.

All in all, it took about 4-6 weeks of dedicated wrenching and swapping/horse trading to work out all of the bugs and the total cost was around 800.00$, car included.

What I basically ended up with was a car that ran like one costing about 2 grand more, so all in all, it was a pretty good deal. Plus, it looked uglier than sin, which added insult to injury whenever I blew away a so-called *muscle* car of the day.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs March 14th 2011, 2:46 am

Plus, it looked uglier than sin, which added insult to injury whenever I blew away a so-called *muscle* car of the day.

thats funny... Very Happy
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 14th 2011, 5:16 am

JRiggs wrote:Plus, it looked uglier than sin, which added insult to injury whenever I blew away a so-called *muscle* car of the day.

thats funny... Very Happy
Dear JRiggs;
Not only is it funny, it's also quite true, sad to say. As I recall past events, when the first fuel crunch struck, the people who owned muscle cars couldn't give them away. I remember that a gallon of regular gasoline was selling for .22 cents and a gallon of premium (also called Ethyl) was selling for .28 cents. Within one week after the fuel crisis hit, regular had shot up to over .50 cents and premium climbed past .65 cents a gallon. This happened along about 1972 I guess. It was at that time that high school kids could afford to buy (or talk mom and dad into funding) a previously unobtainable muscle car.

And once those cars got into the hands of 16 to 21 year old kids, it was only a matter of time before they were being used and abused to no end (mostly the cars, but the kids too). By the time I got my driver's license in 1977, those muscle cars were just plain TIRED! After 5 years of constant non-stop abuse and wanton displays of acceleration, not to mention the countless hours of being tinkered on by amateur mechanics (of which I was soon to be one), those muscle cars were starting to become downright forlorn.

It seems that we could manage to scrape together enough cash to buy fancy hi-rise intakes along with big carburetors, headers and the occasional camshaft or two, but no one ever had enough money to buy a rebuild kit or a fresh set of pistons. pale As a result, by the late 1970s, the muscle cars were mere shadows of their former showroom selves and it didn't take a whole lot of car to beat one when racing from stop light to stop light.

And I don't suppose that things have changed all that much since then, either. Technology has advanced to the point where kids today now bolt on NOS kits and swap chips in order to try and gain some cheap HP. Very much like the days when I was a kid, the kids today look for the cheap and easy way to fame and fortune instead of sticking to the high performance basics.

I just have to smile whenever I hear kids talking about *re-programming* the torque curve of an engine through a laptop computer or building a ride that *drifts* well, whatever that means. I suppose the hot rodders of the previous generation smiled at us the same way when we talked about pop-up pistons and double pumpers.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas March 10th 2012, 2:25 pm

OK Doug Ice,
Butch sent me this link and I think it's time you fess up about your Maverick only havig a six-banger in it. Razz

Guest wrote:Dear group;
I wouldn't cut up a good Maverick for the simple fact that they make EXCELLENT sleepers for short money. years before the Chevy Vega/Monza & Poncho Sunbirds became popular sleepers, the Maverick and it's cousin, the Mercuury Comet, were the platforms of choice for sleepers.

Much like the Willys coupe of yesterday, the Mavericks were successful sleeper rides because of a number of factors:

Ford must have built a gadzillion Mavericks. They were everywhere and thus unassuming. In other words, they didn't look wicked or menacing, which is necessary for a successful sleeper.

They were uber-cheap. Because Ford tagged the base model Maverick at 1,995$, this meant that used car sales were also extremely cheap. For example, I bought a running 73 Maverick in 1980 for 50$.

All Mavericks came from the factory with an I-6 engine. Because of this, the engine compartments were very roomy for an auto that was classified as a compact car.

They were lightweight for their time. At under 3,000 lbs. driven off of the showroom floor, the Mavericks were among the lightest American economy car offerings. This made life easier later on down the road for building a sleeper.

If, like me, you wanted a ride that could compete with the Camaros and Mustang fastbacks on the street scene during the late 70s and early 80s, but were strapped for cash, then the Maverick was the ticket to fast times. In short, a kid could wrangle a LOT of bang for the buck with a bit of scheming.

Here's what we'd do. After obtaining a Maverick for next to nothing, we'd promptly tear out the I-6 engine along with it's supporting transmission and stuff a stock 302 or 351 (along with it's supporting drivetrain) in it's place. Since the 190 CID I-6 engine shared the same dimensional mountings as the small to mid sized Ford V-8 family, fabricating new motor mounts was not necessary.

And because of the Maverick's roomy engine compartment, very little trimming was necessary for a nice fit. As I recall, a bit of judicious pounding on the tranny tunnel with a small sledge was all that was needed for for the tranny to clear and a few minutes with some tinsnips to the inner fenderwells was all that was needed for the exhausts and VOILA! INSTANT FUN!

Then, after radiusing the rear fenderwells for wider rear meats, point that badboy down the boulevard and get ready to hang on for dear life!

Instead of sinking untold amounts of cash into a 'Stang fastback or a Camaro, we'd have what amounted to what was basically a disposable hot rod. For well under 500 skins, we could run with the very best of the bad boys while keeping the money situation firmly in hand.

With a stock engine and a decent pair of mags, we had wheelstanders for far less than it would have cost to buy an engineless Camaro or Mustang. By swapping money for some creativeness and a bit of ingenuity, we could compete with those high dollar rides and make them look silly in the process.

Ahhhh, the bad ol' days of hot rodding....
Your friend;
LAMAR

My best friend had a Comet GT till he plastered a rock wall with. We always thought it had a 302 in it. scratch lol!
Arieldouglas
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Fabulous March 10th 2012, 2:57 pm

I bought mine new in 73. It was ordered as a 302cid with a 3 spd (you couldn't get a 4 spd) and a floor shift. I ordered the floor shift so I would have the correct column when I installed the 4 spd. About 72 or 73 most of the Mavericks had V8's because they couldn't get the 6 cyl to pass the emissions law early in the model year. There were tons of them around with V8's, two doors and four doors. Mine wasn't really quick but it would light the tires pretty easy. I think I had about $2600 in it including Cragars, tires, full set of Sun blue line gauges, fiberglas hood with scoop, and a tape player with 4 speakers. Pretty economical hot rod. I ran the wheels of of it before it rusted away. I still have the motor. It was in my white wagon and now rests in the 56 wagon downstairs.

Last edited by Mr. Fabulous on March 10th 2012, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Fabulous
Mr. Fabulous
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next