{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPAM AND BANNERS

2 posters

Go down

SPAM AND BANNERS Empty SPAM AND BANNERS

Post by RebStew November 11th 2010, 2:09 am

We are working hard to have the banners removed from the top of the forum. These just came on here but everyone that uses this server outside the US has been having trouble for days. They serve people world wide. When I say we are working hard to have them removed it mean me and about 10K other people that deal with this server. At this time they are saying we have to pay to have them removed. After some paid they still popped back on. What do you expect from a French owned company?? Yeap French. So with that just hold off from blowing a gasket and we will see what we can do about getting this stuff off here. There have been hundred that said they are leaving the server if something isn't done about it. Me being one of them.
Some people are loosing members already. There have been a few forums that deal with kids and have half naked girls popping up on the screen. Bad form to say the least from this server.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

SPAM AND BANNERS Empty Re: SPAM AND BANNERS

Post by RebStew November 12th 2010, 5:01 am

I have been on our servers forum trying to get these ads removed. It is turned into a major battle. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am working on it and so is everyone that use them. There are 10 pages of post starting from just yesterday. No one in charge would reply. After my post I did get a reply from them which didn't help anything other than to let us know they see what we are posting. Below is a post that someone else wrote. Just thought it may be interesting reading for some. But I just wanted to let you know I am staying on this trying to get the ads off here.

Even though my other accounts have been banned, I'd like to share what I have to say about this with you guys.

This isn't a bug or a glitch. Bugs and glitches do not get translated to 9 different languages and installed on every single admin panel.

This has been planned by Forumactif, which seems to have modified this option on every branch (Forumotion, Foroactivo, Forumeiros, etc.) but on on any french forums.

What they're trying to do is getting a lot of visits for about 5/6 days and then get LOTS of money. Greedy, isn't it. And after this, to pretend nothing has happened, we'll be given some new updates and features. And we don't even know if that's true, but it'd be a clever way to say 'we have f*cked your forums up, now we'll give you something to make it up'. Not fair at all...

No Forumactif official worker (and there's 10 of them) has given any answers or comments about it, and they have been online (as a matter of fact, they have replied to other topics and left the adverts one closed) and the Twitter and Facebook accounts have been used as well. Why? Simple, they don't really want to say the real reason on why they're doing this. They haven't even told any of their staff members on the support forum what was going on. Shocking.

This will probably be like this until Thursday. Forumactif doesn't work on Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays, and they seem to like doing updates on thurdays only. So we'll have quite a rough weekend

I, on one side, have been lucky enough to have gotten lots of credits as donations by my members and used them to remove them; but most people cannot spend so much money to remove a stupid sign. I do understand Mr Mario's comment on another topic, 'Forumotion places Google Ads to get money from forums'. That's completely acceptable, I don't blame them if they place adverts for guests, but I do if they do it with members too.

I have a little proposal for staff members, which I've read on the Spanish Support Forum. It's really easy to remove ads using CSS, but your forum can be banned if you do so (I know some sties that have been shut down because of that). Why isn't this temporarily allowed? It's just a workaround, yet admins might not be happy if people do it.

Thanks.

RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 12th 2010, 10:35 pm

3 days and 1000's of post from everyone about the ads. These guys wanted to geberate income and they did. These friggin' ads put alot of cash in their pockets. It's hard to think but you have to relize that this compnay hosts 1000's and 1000's of forums. Anything from car forums to pet adoption or or medical sites. It's may be done here soon. They are saying theyu are staying one minute and the next they say they are taking them off. We we see. Some of us have threaten to put our forums in holiday mode which will freeze the forum untill I take it off. No one can log on including people running the ads. They get alot of hits. If we got 40% of everyone to do this for just one day it would take a huge bite out of their income.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew November 12th 2010, 10:42 pm

We did manage to get most of the flashing ads removed. If you notice it's mostly text crap now. There were a few forums on Epilepsy treatment and care. Photosensitive epilepsy (PSE) is a form of epilepsy in which seizures are triggered by visual stimuli that form patterns in time or space, such as flashing lights. Can you imagine having this and clicking on a health forum trying to see what can be done to help you and you get these flashing ads? It's BS and our server went about this all wrong. Sad thing is their system is setup so that have copy right laws that keep us from taking our forum with us.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin November 12th 2010, 10:57 pm

Well with all the hell everyone raised we managed to get the ads taken off for now. I think the thought of everyone shutting down on a holiday program freaked them out. As it stands right now we are again SPAM & ad free to our members. We have always ran ads for our guest. If you are seeing ads you need to register or if you are registered then you need to sign in and you will be ad free.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: