{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its amazing what tweeking a distributor will do

Go down

Its amazing what tweeking a distributor will do Empty Its amazing what tweeking a distributor will do

Post by junkyardjeff July 27th 2010, 5:31 am

Ever since I put my 55 togather I could never hook up the vacumn advance or the motor would ping badly,I installed a new balancer as I thought the old one slipped so I painted all the marks on the new balancer so I could read them easy. I decided to hook up the vacumn pump to the distributor at idle just to see how much it was advancing and it must have been at least 60 degrees BTC and was way off the marks on tha balancer,the distributor did have a adjustable vacumn advance but it did not work so I robbed one off another distributor and I was able to dial it in where I can hook the vacumn line up and now it does not ping and dont have to run premium fuel. I have to say its running better then it ever has but I need to check the plugs after another long drive to see if its running rich or lean and then play with the jets if needed,I probably dont need to change the motor but I want to play with a Y block so the motor should be running good before its installed in the 65 4 door. I wish I knew someone locally who had a distributor machine so when I buy these reman distributors I can have then checked before installing them,I am still thinking of letting GMC Bubba look at it and tweek the mechanical advance part so I will be contacting him to do the one in the 55 and the electronic distributor I have for the 302 thats in the 65 now so a road trip to indy will be coming up soon.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down