{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you guys think?

5 posters

Go down

What do you guys think? Empty What do you guys think?

Post by DEMONSPEED June 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm

Apparently that 5.7 I recently sold was blown up. I was told today that the bearings are disentegrated, rods are destroyed, and the crank has cuts in it over an 1/8 inch deep. I don't know why that would have been pulled and gave to me without being noticed... Now the guy wants his money back. Does anyone think that sounds like the guy put a 400 shot of nitrous on it and blew it up? It's been 26 days since I sold it. When I had it the rods looked fine, oil was fresh, turned over normal, nothing looked burned. It looked like a low milage motor. Someone is or has been lying to me?

I was told it was low milage, pulled because of wreck.

He's telling me it's blown up.

What do you think?
DEMONSPEED
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2009-05-30

Back to top Go down

What do you guys think? Empty Re: What do you guys think?

Post by DEMONSPEED June 23rd 2010, 7:24 pm

I got the motor for free from a friend of a friend.
DEMONSPEED
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED June 23rd 2010, 8:18 pm

Maybe not. I think I'm just being paranoid. I just called everyone. It didn't seem like anyone was lying to me.
DEMONSPEED
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby June 23rd 2010, 10:01 pm

Purchased "As is?" or did you tell him to let you know if there were any issues? Because if you did say that, I would say you accepted the possibility of something not being what you thought and possibly would have to own up and make it right. If not, I would say that the man purchased it knowing that there was no warranty and that he is on his own. What about paper work, did you guys agree on anything in writing? It's his word against yours and needless to say, if there was no paper work, neither one of you has a leg to stand on. Good luck.

CustomCabby
Restorer

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew June 24th 2010, 12:04 am

If you sold him something and you wasn't sure it was good but said it was then I understand why he's ticked off.. If you told him as is then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you made him thinkl it was a running engine and it's not then it should be on you. No one likes to get screwed and carma will come back around for sure.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED June 24th 2010, 12:26 am

I told him what was told to me about the motor. I clearly stated that I did not know how the internals of the motor were. I turned it over for him also. I had no clue it was blown. I did not put anywhere in the ad that it was a good motor because I wasn't sure, which I told him I wasn't positive. He is only wanting 100 back of it but all I have to give is 75. He said that since he bought it, it has been on a engine and he just now had time to take it apart. I think he told me he is retired and this has been 26 days ago. That's what has me concerned. Also, when I pulled the pan off to check the mains I did not see two black connecting rods on the seventh and eight cylinders as he says. I even took a picture of them and I still do not see two black rods. He said that there was metal bits all over the lifter valley and now that I think about it I looked in the oil return holes and I never seen metal. I looked in every one of them.

I told him I didn't know nothing about it other then the basic run the numbers information.
DEMONSPEED
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew June 24th 2010, 1:39 am

If you told him you knew nothing about it, you was selling it as is then I wouldn't give him anything back.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew June 24th 2010, 1:49 am

It's an iffy sale. I'm funny about doing the right thing. you do what you think you should and don't look back. I always try to do the right thing. I just sold that Ranger for 900. I had $800.00 invested in the truck. I got the money but the court house was closed so we waited a few days for him to get back down here. I had it at mom's house stuck in the mud and went out to get it. After spinning the tires getting it out of the mud the universals started making noise. I drove it to Newport and when you got it in a load you could hear them. I stopped up on 11st and pulled into the garage next to BMC. He grabbed the driveshaft and said they was shot and ready to fall out. He said he would put front and back set in for $100.00. I wouldn't want to buy a truck and have to spend 100 bucks on something I didn't know was bad before I bought it so I told him to replace it. So I sold the truck for 900 bucks I had 900 cash invested in it not counting hours of work I put in it to be able to drive it. I lost money. Was I upset? A little, but I sleep well at night and the buyer was happy about getting a good truck.
RebStew
RebStew

Back to top Go down

Post by big dogs 42 June 24th 2010, 6:48 am

Rob that motor as far as i know was not blown and i talked to the guy that the friend got it from the computor control modual was out on it thats why it got towed in and the tranny out of the truck is fine and in another one it was towed to a ford dealer and they were the ones that figgered it out thats why one valve cover was off it when you got it and the people could 't waite on it to be fixed and they bought another truck and the mechanic bought it for parts from the ford dealer but pryer to that the truck had been pulling a camper down i 75 headed south this was what was told to me about it. Its your call guy do what you think is right im like you i turned that motor over also and there was no noise and no metal shaveing under the valve cover . but as you well know im not a big fan of that gm feeling anyway i just think there would have been some sort of red flag on it do give a hint of that kind of damage ok gm guys tell me im wrong on this !!!! i know i would hear something in a ford motor >Yep it would be running
big dogs 42
big dogs 42
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1145
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by chev_hotrod June 24th 2010, 8:12 am

lol what ever i dont think if it was a ford dodge chevy or anyything else if you crank it over by hand you can tell if it is hurt but thats just me i would never buy a motor that i cranked over by hand and expected it to be good its hard to tell with out it running
chev_hotrod
chev_hotrod
Scrounger

Number of posts : 462

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down