{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major issues with brakes ?????

+8
magicman_1968
FalconEddie1964
Butch Thompson
big dogs 42
Glenn
Blue Eyed Devil
RebStew
CustomCabby
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Empty Re: Major issues with brakes ?????

Post by RebStew April 30th 2010, 1:43 am

If you open one of the lines not the bleeder will anything come out? Do you have anyone pumping the brakes and holding them before you loosen the bleeder?
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

Back to top Go down

Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Empty Re: Major issues with brakes ?????

Post by CustomCabby April 30th 2010, 2:55 am

RebStew wrote:If you open one of the lines not the bleeder will anything come out? Do you have anyone pumping the brakes and holding them before you loosen the bleeder?

Yup to both questions.

CustomCabby
Restorer

Number of posts : 467
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby April 30th 2010, 3:11 am

Okay boys and girls... I thought I had issues up to now.... here we go.

The power brake set up that the PO put on the '59 F100 was from a '69 Lincoln Continental. And as I was looking into going ahead and replacing the booster and making some calls, I found out that Zone, Advance and Orielly all sell the booster for the Lincoln. But all of them cannot get them from their distributor. Go figure. So simple conclusion, OBSOLETE. So my issue is a bit greater now that I have a master from a Lincoln but cannot get a booster to mate it to. So what do I do? Do I get a '75 F100 power disk/drum set up like what my rotors are from? My buddy at Orielly said I could bring the master back and put it towards a master/booster set up but I am pretty much at a dead end of what would be best. Any suggestions?

CustomCabby
Restorer

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby April 30th 2010, 12:56 pm

Ideas? Besides getting a horse!?!

CustomCabby
Restorer

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 April 30th 2010, 4:19 pm

CustomCabby wrote:Okay boys and girls... I thought I had issues up to now.... here we go.

The power brake set up that the PO put on the '59 F100 was from a '69 Lincoln Continental. And as I was looking into going ahead and replacing the booster and making some calls, I found out that Zone, Advance and Orielly all sell the booster for the Lincoln. But all of them cannot get them from their distributor. Go figure. So simple conclusion, OBSOLETE. So my issue is a bit greater now that I have a master from a Lincoln but cannot get a booster to mate it to. So what do I do? Do I get a '75 F100 power disk/drum set up like what my rotors are from? My buddy at Orielly said I could bring the master back and put it towards a master/booster set up but I am pretty much at a dead end of what would be best. Any suggestions?

I would get what ever Booster/MC set up I could get, off a Big Car or Truck, as the bore dia must be large to move the fluid that will stop you, I used the one off the Volare' on my 48 Panel truck, So hit the old pull and pay, find a full size Ford and I am sure it would work..It is a fluid issue, we just need to move the fluid, so as long as it will bolt/hook up you'll be home free....I am using a set up off a truck on Vicki's 59, I have to hang pedals on it as well...
falconwagon62
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin April 30th 2010, 11:46 pm

I have used the S10 stuff too and it work well. Even with a bad booster it should have brakes. All the booster does is make it easier to push the pedal. Do you have any brakes or are they hard? Do you have the right amount of pivit on the brake pedal arm?? It's hard to figure something out when you can't see it or feel it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1630

http://www.scroungers.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby May 1st 2010, 5:38 pm

Okay, after bench bleeding master AGAIN and running 2 quarts of fluid through the system and spending about 20 minutes on each bleeder, I think it's squared away. The air sound is still there but I seem to have my brakes back. I plan on taking a nice drive today to see if it stays that way. If not, I leave title and truck and walk home!

CustomCabby
Restorer

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew May 1st 2010, 7:05 pm

If you leave it let me know where..lol .. I like that truck.
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by ss 383 May 1st 2010, 7:18 pm

ford....... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Icon_lol found on road dead ..... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Lol u guys opened the door for that ...... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Icon_twisted
ss 383
ss 383
Scrounger

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by magicman_1968 May 1st 2010, 11:52 pm

ss 383 wrote:ford....... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Icon_lol found on road dead ..... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Lol u guys opened the door for that ...... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Icon_twisted
lol! yes they did lol!
magicman_1968
magicman_1968
Scroungers Road Captain

Number of posts : 1372
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby May 2nd 2010, 12:11 am

ss 383 wrote:ford....... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Icon_lol found on road dead ..... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Lol u guys opened the door for that ...... Major issues with brakes ????? - Page 2 Icon_twisted

watch it now, she's got some Cheby parts on her too!

CustomCabby
Restorer

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby May 2nd 2010, 12:18 am

For cryin out flippin loud!!!!!

Took it for a test drive today and you guessed it, issues! Took about 15 minutes worth of driving and then I started to feel some drag. The pedal was very soft at first, even to the point of coasting about 10 foot with pedal to the floor. The pedal did firm up the further I drove it but it wasn't a consistant firmness every time. The closer I got to home the worse it got. So bad that I was having to overpower the brakes in order to get it home and in turn made the lifters chatter big time. Parked it and felt wheels, rears and pass. front where typically warm but the driver's side was very hot. If you remember right, at one time this issue was happening before I replaced the calipers and before I replaced the master cylinder. So......... being that I have put endless money into this just to have the same flippin issue.... where do I turn to now?

CustomCabby
Restorer

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff May 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm

If you have a air sound from the booster its probably going bad,it sounds like the booster is not allowing the master cylinder to completely release causing the brakes to lock up after driving for some time. The booster in my wagon done the same and I took it off untill I got it rebuilt,eliminate the booster and see if it does the same and you will have to make a new push rod but that should not be too hard.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by CustomCabby May 4th 2010, 6:49 pm

So, I have been driving the truck to work and back for a couple days, being its only 3 miles one way it has been fine with not bringing itself to a stop. I had some yard waste in the back that I wanted to take to the dump and so I chanced it and went. During the drive, I noticed some resistance but could not tell if it was brakes or trans. Popped the hood while there and was messing with the check valve in booster and dropped the plug, couldn't find it so just left it out. So I had manual brakes the rest of the way so I think it's safe to say that the booster is bad.

But..... here's another issue. While driving back I couldn't get any power out of it. I was pushing it so hard to get to 40 mph that I thought the top end was going to fly off from all the chattering it was doing, so needless to say, I backed off of it and drove it as softly as possible. And the further I drove, the worse it got. And when I finally coasted I put it in neutral to make sure I wasn't over-powering the brakes and I didn't slow down one bit like what I have experienced with the check valve being plugged in and power brakes being used. Now I know there is an issue with the trans because after 1st and 2nd while in drive, I have to put it in 2nd and then back to drive to make it go into 3rd. The PO/builder told me that it was the C6 that was bolted to that original motor and all he did to it was put a shift kit in it. And when I was driving it back from the dump, it took quite a while for it to shift into each gear. I think I got the trans hot when I was trying to get out of a mud hole I got myself into. There is no trans cooler on it and was not going to put one on it until I got everything squared away to the point I could drive it a fair distance. So, once again.... whatchya guys thinkin?

CustomCabby
Restorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2