{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrical issues

3 posters

Go down

Electrical issues Empty Electrical issues

Post by SMOKNZ April 9th 2015, 10:28 pm

I have some electrical issues with the Z. I have it torn down right now. I was coming back from Middletown heading South Bound and ran through a flooded interstate right near the Brent Spence Bridge. Of course the two right hand lanes were flooded that takes you into Kentucky and the traffic was moving as slow as a turtle. Being at night, I didn't see the flooded interstate and drove right through it along with a lot of other drivers. I was a little upset being the Cincinnati Police should've had those lanes blocked off and didn't. On the way home, my Z drove really sluggishly until it died on me a few blocks from the house. I guess I should be counting my blessings that it didn't die before then or on the interstate during that torrential downfall of rain.

Yesterday, a few of my friends pushed the Z into the garage and I layed some box fans down under it to get the moisture out. This morning I used electrical contact cleaner to remove some of the condensation from the electrical components and checked all the vacuum lines to make sure none of them came loose. This afternoon it fired right up, just to die on me as soon as I slid it into drive.

Being I don't know squat about imports and I'm not physically able to work on one, I'm sending it on a rollback next week to Hamilton, Ohio to my Mechanic. He works on nothing but my Model of Z. Being money is tight and it looks like any money that I saved for my Summer runs will be going into repairs for the Z. This absolutely bites!
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Electrical issues Empty Re: Electrical issues

Post by SMOKNZ April 10th 2015, 6:09 am

I decided to get my hands a little dirty and try and diagnose the issue myself. I believe I found the culprit. Being my battery is relatively new, I think it's my alternator. I went out and bought a digital multi meter this evening. Tomorrow morning I will be checking my volts on both the battery and the alternator. Being the alternator charges the battery and the battery is now dead, I have it on a slow charge through tomorrow morning. I will check my voltages at that time to see what they read. I'm not a gambler but I'm betting my alternator is reading below 13 volts. Which I will need to buy an alternator... and will not need to send it off to my mechanic. (Fingers crossed) Smile
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew April 10th 2015, 8:56 am

Sound like you got water in the dizzy...
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ April 10th 2015, 2:43 pm

Reb Stew wrote:Sound like you got water in the dizzy...

Yeah, I checked that yesterday and I wish it had the standard distributor being it would be a lot easier to diagnose. It has a distributor crank angle sensor which is what newer cars have on them nowadays, but I'm sure you all knew this.

I have about a 75% charged battery this morning and the Z is firing right up without hesitation. As soon as I put a load on it, it drops off

Without a load - 12.45  -  With a load and only my heater and headlights - 11.80
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ April 10th 2015, 3:13 pm

I checked at Advanced for a remanned alternator. (Not in stock) Should have the Z back on the road by Saturday.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis April 11th 2015, 2:12 am

Aren't electrical issues fun! Hope the alternator is the fix! Best of luck!!
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ April 11th 2015, 7:36 am

Cratethis wrote:Aren't electrical issues fun! Hope the alternator is the fix! Best of luck!!

Thanks, I think electrical issues are the hardest to diagnose on any car actually. I was lucky by way the Z was acting, being it could be one of 3 items. Battery, crank angle sensor or the altenator. It came down to the alternator. I checked it 3 times on my multimeter throughout the day today and all three times with a load, the voltages dropped immensely. I usually purchase my parts from KOI or Advanced and neither place can get my alternator in before next Wednesday because I have a High Output 170 AMP alternator in my ride, not the standard 80.

Also Fellas and Gals, if you look at this website at Advanced you may be able to save a lot of money on your next purchase at Advanced Auto Parts http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/home and look for codes that you enter when you check out. You can save up to $ 50.00 on parts if you call there phone number 1-877-ADVANCE (238-2623) and talk to someone, you ask what discounts or promotions they have and they will give code numbers to save you as much as $50.00 per item of parts over $125.00. Yes, you can have your parts shipped directly to your house or to the closest Advanced Auto Parts Store. If there is a core charge, you take it to the store, even if you order the parts on line, you will get your money back from the store.

SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ April 17th 2015, 2:32 am

Cratethis wrote:Aren't electrical issues fun! Hope the alternator is the fix! Best of luck!!

Yep, it was the alternator. Installed it today with the help of a friend. Also put my 18" wheels back on it as well. Z is back on the road again, yoohoo!
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis April 21st 2015, 4:31 pm

Sweet!! Glad that's all it was and that you were able to do it yourself. Always nice when you can save a few dollars! Now we just need a good stretch of sunny days.
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ April 22nd 2015, 3:46 am

Cratethis wrote:Sweet!! Glad that's all it was and that you were able to do it yourself. Always nice when you can save a few dollars! Now we just need a good stretch of sunny days.

Yeah, the weather is killing me.. Just when you think it's going to be nice and the temps are in the 70's, boom! There back into the mid 60's and lows in the 30's. At least we're not getting the weather that Denver has been getting. (Snow and a lot of it). I will take rain and the 60's any day than Snow. Just think - in about a month, we will be in the 70's and 80's and wishing it was a little cooler. Laughing
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cratethis April 22nd 2015, 4:21 am

I hear ya about not getting the snow!! One thing you won't hear me complaining about is the heat. I'm ready for those 70's, &0's, and 90's!!

Have any plans for the Z now?
Cratethis
Cratethis
1000 post club

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ April 23rd 2015, 8:25 am

Cratethis wrote:I hear ya about not getting the snow!! One thing you won't hear me complaining about is the heat. I'm ready for those 70's, &0's, and 90's!!

Have any plans for the Z now?

My plans are to drop it an inch and install a Brembo Brake Kit with slotted rotors. I can't do both this year being the shocks that I'm buying costs more than 2 complete sets of tires. Evil or Very Mad This year I will drop it and next year I will install the larger Brake Kit.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down