{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How has some of your first drives been?

4 posters

Go down

How has some of your first drives been? Empty How has some of your first drives been?

Post by Reb Stew July 15th 2014, 7:19 am

First trip ever in a fresh built 65 T bird. Fuel pump went out 5 hours from home. Had it fixed in 30 minutes and went on!
How has some of your first drives been? Scan002
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

How has some of your first drives been? Empty Re: How has some of your first drives been?

Post by Nanook July 15th 2014, 5:29 pm

honestly nothing very notable on my end. I do recall the 1st time I drove an L98 TPI though. Was in my buddy's '89 Formula 350. I had a base '88 TA at the time with the 305 TBI...and WOW what a difference!  Shocked Twisted Evil 

Now, when I did repair the '71 VW Super Beetle I had bought and got it running the ignition was bad. You had to drive it with the key pressed 'on'. And yes, this VW was a stick. So, it made for an amusing trip into town! I drove it that way for about two weeks until I got it fixed.

Yeas ago I bought an '87 Trans Am that had been sitting for YEARS. The gas was shellac and it needed a bit of prodding to run but she fired up. A buddy followed me home (thankfully) and it started to overheat about 10 miles from my house (stuck t-stat). He had to push me with his Blazer the last two-three miles on Donaldson across Rt.237 by the airport! Was a great deal for $200 but I could never get a title for it so she was parted out. Had a guy take me for the rear end and carcass. Never paid me after I did him a favor.

That's about it for me.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

How has some of your first drives been? Empty Re: How has some of your first drives been?

Post by dieseldr July 16th 2014, 2:06 am

Bought a 65 mustang once. Got it home, stuck a battery in it, grabbed the door handle, and as soon as I opened the door, the starter engaged and cranked the engine over. Shut it, and it quit cranking. That car had piles of electrical troubles, and it found a new home promptly.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr July 16th 2014, 2:10 am

Bought a 67 Fairlane 2 dr about a half hour from home back in the early eighties. We stuck a tow bar on it, started home, about 10 miles into the trip, the cowl disconnected from the passenger compartment, and the back end went sailing down over a bank, through a pasture fence, and landed upside down in the puckerbrush. Made a deal that if we fixed the fence, we could leave the carcass there. Drug the front end/engine home without incident.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SMOKNZ July 16th 2014, 1:59 pm

When I was 16, my Dad and I went to a car aution on the other side of Baltimore, Ohio. My Dad bouight a 68 Plymouth GTX and I bought a '57 chevy that was ragged out for 300 bucks. Whomever had it before me, dropped in a small steering wheel and to turn in any direction, you had to turn the steering wheel forever to get it to turn. We had a car hauler for only one vehicle, so I drove mine home slowly. Within 15 miles, my steering column broke in half on the outskirts of Columbus on I-70.

I ended up spending 4 1/2 hours on the side of the interstate while my Dad took his ride home, to come back and pick mine up. We got home after dark and I immediately went to work getting the 57 road worthy again.
SMOKNZ
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down