{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think its worth?

3 posters

Go down

What do you think its worth? Empty What do you think its worth?

Post by ferrell1cars October 12th 2013, 3:59 am

I have known about this car for quiet a while now.It has been inside for several years and I now have a chance to get it,this is why we are selling the Pontiac hearse.This car is a 67000 mile 81 Trans Am pace car,301 turbo,automatic trans,WS6 handling package,4 wheel disc brakes,t-tops,Recaro interior ect.It was a running and driving car and then the owner decided to take it apart to freshen it up and now here it sits.The only rust in the car besides some surface rust here and there in in the right side lower tail panel.The motor has been gone through but is still apart wrapped in plastic filled with oil.The interior needs to be redone to be nice and of course it would also need to be repainted.The subframe has been cleaned and repainted.I plan on picking this up but was wondering what you guys thought about it as I have noticed that Rebstew has had a few.The motor would probably be replaced with a pontaic 400 or 403 if I can pick one up reasonably.What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo004_zpse30333c2What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo007_zpsa347c432What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo008_zps67cad3f2What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo009_zps7eed4c7fWhat do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo010_zpsb924563f
ferrell1cars
ferrell1cars
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

What do you think its worth? Empty Re: What do you think its worth?

Post by ferrell1cars October 12th 2013, 4:00 am

What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo011_zps3ee4d196What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo002_zps95eb4978What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo001_zpsbc052943
ferrell1cars
ferrell1cars
wrench fetcher

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew October 12th 2013, 6:00 pm

That is the Nascar version Pace Car. The 1980 Indy Car, which is what looks to be sitting next to it was the other T/A Pace Car. The Nascar's are more rare 2000 made compared 5700 the Indy car. Value is not hi on them though. Collectors want them but only if they are 90 to 100 point cars. That one could be but it would cost some money to get it there. It's still collectable and in a few years I feel the market will open up to them. DON'T throw away anything that came on the car from the factory and Don't do anything to it that couldn't be made back stock easy. I always wanted a set of seat out of the NASCAR to put in my bird. Other than the Macho T/A, Pontiac's version of the Yenko the NASCAR Pace Car was the only ones to use them.

As for the stock engine?? In a word JUNK! They are good on gas for a V8 and you will feel a tiny bit of boost from the turbo but they are SLOW! Expect anywhere from 80K to 130K miles on a 301 Turbo before you have to redo it. If the turbo last that long. If those miles are from one that is taken care of and not beat on. So with that save the stock stuff and toss in a 400 Poncho. I wouldn't put my time in a 403 Olds. Gas hog low HP engines.

I like the car it's worth saving for sure. What's it worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay. The market is down. With just a body if it was me I wouldn't give over $1800 for it and that may be a stretch. Up and running I'd guess $3400.00 with what I see. Now if it was all stock with say 30K miles it would be a whole different story. anywhere from $11K to $23K but it would have to be almost perfect. A nice driver Nascar that is what you typically find you can pick up for around 6K to $7000.00 Just a nice weekend cruiser.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew October 12th 2013, 6:09 pm

Stock is not what it use to be. At one time people wanted everything stock for big money. Now a days people want cool stuff. If it was me I'd build it how I wanted and drive it. You can get over $20 for a super slick hot rodded T/A Just don't pitch the stock stuff in care the market does open up.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 20th 2013, 4:58 am

No more than $2K as it sits IMHO. Steve basically nailed it. The '80 and '81 TTA cars are really only worth some $$$ if they are low miles and in very good shape. The interior is very specific to the Pace Car and not cheap to redo. The decals are also spendy but are available as well. The rims are specific for this model and model year as there are two different sized and style 'turbo' rims. DO NOT separate these rims from this car...which echoes what Steve said. DO NOT separate any specific parts from this car. The turbo parts are hard to find and spendy. So, yes, you could make some $$$ off of them but it will darn near kill any serious chance of a decent resale reagrdless of what you do with the engine (swap or keep the 301). I had an '80 IPC and my brother has an '81 SE TTA. Like Steve, I know these cars inside and out especially the turbo cars.

The 301 is a cruising motor, that's it. Even with a mild cam and head work it will only see boost in the 5-7lbs range. My brother had his gone thru and built up and I only ever saw it hit 7lbs once. If you are dead-set on a motor swap here is my suggestion (what I did with my '80 IPC TTA):

400 engine...look for a '69 or later block as it will have the proper engine holes for the engine mounts. Older blocks can be adapted but require unique motor mount adapters.
find a proper 400 or non-turbo engine harness (do not butcher the TTA harness).
new flexplate and torque converter
Long-tube headers and 3" dual exhaust
Bigger radiator
Tranny cooler

Again, DO NOT butcher up the TTA-specific parts nor pitch 'em sell 'em or lose track of them. This includes the block, radiator, torque converter, flexplate and engine harness and all related exhaust parts from the y-pipe to the engine. Anything after the y-pipe you can get rid of.

My 2 cents...

Lee

P.S. If you are dead serious about this feel free to PM me with any questions or if you want a 2nd opinion in person. I am sure Steve would offer the same as well.
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 20th 2013, 5:00 am

And what is the story on the '79 TATA next to it?

Curious,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew October 20th 2013, 6:56 pm

Nanook wrote:And what is the story on the '79 TATA next to it?

Curious,

Lee
You think it's a 1979 10th Anniversary? I have this little screen and was trying to figure out what it was. Is it silver? It looked white to me like an 80 Indy but you may be right. I need to get a better screen or some glasses. Why is it that the one we can't see is the one we want to know more about. lol
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew October 20th 2013, 7:02 pm

I see the wings on the fender now Lee. Great eyes man!

.What do you think its worth? 1981transamturbo004_zpse30333c2[url=
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew October 20th 2013, 7:02 pm

You now the rest of these guys are calling us F body geeks right now. Laughing 
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook October 21st 2013, 3:24 am

Yeah, I know Steve...but they always come to us when they have questions. afro 

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Nanook
Scrounger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down