{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers

2 posters

Go down

Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers  Empty Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers

Post by Reb Stew August 23rd 2013, 6:38 pm

Anyone know where to buy oxygen absorbers for food storage, Oxy-Sorb? I can order it just hoping someone local carries it. I'm not having any luck.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers  Empty Re: Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers

Post by dieseldr August 24th 2013, 2:51 am

I guess we lead a sheltered life, never heard of it, but the concept makes perfect sense. Gonna google it and learn something today. Thanks Steve.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

Back to top Go down

Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers  Empty Re: Anyone know where to get Oxygen Absorbers

Post by Reb Stew August 24th 2013, 6:46 pm

It is some very cool stuff if you are into food storage for any period of time.
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr August 24th 2013, 10:26 pm

Amazon has them. Looked like they were having a sale on them.

Off topic, but since they absorb oxygen, could they be used in a gas tank to reduce/eliminate the potential for catastrophic reaction from welding on one. Not that I go around looking for gas tanks to weld on, but occasionally the need arises. For instance, I know of one now that needs to be cleaned, and a liner put in it. With the baffling, it will be impossible to blast it. I am contemplating fastening it to my home duty cement mixer, tossing a few handfulls of 1/2 nuts into the tank, and turning it on for a few days to see if I can get it relatively clean. If it was easy everyone would do it.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr August 24th 2013, 10:30 pm

And by the way, did you try Lehmans Hardware in Berlin OH? They have tons of stuff related to non electrified lifestyle ranging from over-fire cookware, to propane refrigerators, the list goes on. Seems like they would have them, they are in the heart of Amish country.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 25th 2013, 4:00 am

dieseldr wrote:Amazon has them.  Looked like they were having a sale on them.

Off topic, but since they absorb oxygen, could they be used in a gas tank to reduce/eliminate the potential for catastrophic reaction from welding on one.  Not that I go around looking for gas tanks to weld on, but occasionally the need arises.  For instance, I know of one now that needs to be cleaned, and a liner put in it.  With the baffling, it will be impossible to blast it.  I am contemplating fastening it to my home duty cement mixer, tossing a few handfulls of 1/2 nuts into the tank, and turning it on for a few days to see if I can get it relatively clean.  If it was easy everyone would do it.
If I have this right the packets have vermiculite, (spelling?) salt and rust scale. The salt speeds stuff up, the vermiculite act as a sponge and it transfer the oxygen to the rust. Growing the rust and taking away the oxygen. It's a slower process so I don't think it would work on a tank.  I may be off but that is how it was explained to me. It may be way off. All I know is it works for loooNNNGGGGG term food storage.Very Happy
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew August 25th 2013, 4:01 am

dieseldr wrote:And by the way, did you try Lehmans Hardware in Berlin OH?  They have tons of stuff related to non electrified lifestyle ranging from over-fire cookware, to propane refrigerators, the list goes on.  Seems like they would have them, they are in the heart of Amish country.
I have to look them up. Thanks
Reb Stew
Reb Stew
National President

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr August 25th 2013, 2:47 pm

Whenever we travel through central OH we have to stop there. It's just a neat store that preppers, farmers, and people with good ol' common sense ought to stop in to visit sometime. I even think you can buy a wringer washing machine there- new. That might be a stretch, but you can get stuff there you can't get anywhere else. And I think they have a model railroad travelling and winding throughout the store... if you are into that kinda stuff.

I probably won't use it (oxy sorb) in the tank scenario, but it was something I just got thinking about and wondered- simple minds are easily entertained.
dieseldr
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum