{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driveshaft opinions wanted

3 posters

Go down

Driveshaft opinions wanted Empty Driveshaft opinions wanted

Post by 6-71Kid February 20th 2011, 3:00 am

I'm wanting to install a 700R4 transmission to replace the turbo 400 in my truck. Hopefully so that I can make the 4.56 rear gear that I have just a little more livable. I know that I will have to get my drive shaft shortened and get a different slip yoke. What I was wanting to get some opinions on was should I just get my 2 piece driveshaft shortened or would it be possible to put in a one piece driveshaft. The other thing is I figured it would be cheaper to have the my driveshaft shortened but was wondering what would be the benefits in going with a one piece driveshaft.
6-71Kid
6-71Kid
Scrounger

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Driveshaft opinions wanted Empty Re: Driveshaft opinions wanted

Post by junkyardjeff February 20th 2011, 3:16 am

I was thinking about a one piece on my 66 when it got the 460 but ended up getting the front half shortened since the truck was not designed for a one piece shaft and did not want any issues due to the angle of the drive shaft. It would probably work but its cheaper to get the front half shortened unless you can find a one piece shaft that has the right ends that is the right length or needs shortened.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by mpvance May 15th 2012, 10:02 pm

I just put a 700r4 in my dually suburban last year. I had trouble with drive shaft balance and had to go with a one piece. I'm happy with it. The only thing with a one piece is that you lose a little ground clearance and the angle must be kept right. All that said I tried to do what you are doing and it didn't work for me. As usual "Your mileage may vary"
mpvance
mpvance
Car washer

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down