{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The REAL Chopped Effie Project

+5
RebStew
JRiggs
LRS30
xycho_wraith
RustyKarr
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The REAL Chopped Effie Project Empty The REAL Chopped Effie Project

Post by RustyKarr February 5th 2009, 1:59 am

Well here's the low down on the planned build for this. Originally it was going to be a frame swap for my current F100. Me and Ol' Stewart picked up a frame for her.
Here's the details on the frame. This frame has 1970 Chevelle clip up front which is setup for small block chevy and has a tubular trans cross member for a 350 trans, It is setup for Corvette Rear suspension in the back, frame is fully boxed and all welds smoothed. It has a frame mounted master cylinder and brake booster with proportioning valve. Plus its wired too.
Plus I also picked a Corvette IRS out of a '79 Vette with a 3.55 Posi.
The REAL Chopped Effie Project DSCF4289
The REAL Chopped Effie Project DSCF4288
I already have an LT1/700R4 that I had in another car waiting to go into its new home which is the frame above.
Here's some of the goodies I have drive train wise. The Engine is a 1996 LT1 iron head motor out of a 9C1 Caprice. Rebuilt and only driven about 300 miles before I pulled it. It has stock bore, Hi flow oil pump and hardened shaft. Fel-Pro gaskets and Sealed Power bearings/rings. Heads are 40,000 mile iron castings that have had valve train tolerances matched perfect by SRP. Comp 216 springs, Comp Pro-Mag 1.6's, Comp lifters and push-rods. Cam is a Comp 306 with 4 degrees advance ground into it for an LSA of 110 (instead of 114). It thumps big time. It also has Ported TB. and Meziere electric WP.
The Transmission-700R4 with aftermarket clutches and more. But wont shift out of first gear, I was told it may need a new valve body and Trans Go shift kit. Along with this to transfer the power is a Edge 2,800 stall converter which is matched to the cam/motor setup that will bolt to a new flex-plate.
I'm hoping to use the followng accessories from the previous car. A LS1 radiator and cooling fans. Holley fuel pump. Hedman coated long tube headers with custom SRP 3" exhaust, X-pipe and Flowmaster 30 series single chamber mufflers.
(Pics are from when being built for the car it came out of)
The REAL Chopped Effie Project 01011201020201160420080123b8b33a212
The REAL Chopped Effie Project 01041201030201161320080123accc1f34d
After thinking about it I wanted to buy another cab for the build then switch over the other sheet metal later, well I look around for a bit then put a few "53-55 F100 Cab Wanted" ads on a few forums and had a few responses. The best one was from Mr. Bailey of the Carter County Cruisers with info of a local guy (local to him) selling a semi complete truck.
So I contacted the fellow about it and went and picked her up. Now its going to be a whole different truck build up.
The Truck is pretty cool. Its has a 5 inch chop in which it still need some roof work, shaved door handles, new cab corners with the fuel inlet shaved/removed from drivers side rear cab corner. It came with front fenders with inner fenders, bed w/fenders and (rough) running boards. Pretty well stripped with nothing else. The frame has a Camaro front clip with a Camaro rear end. But that won't be staying under due to having a better setup which is the frame I was referring to earlier.
The REAL Chopped Effie Project Untitled-2
The REAL Chopped Effie Project Ghfhjfgjhg
The REAL Chopped Effie Project 56trgtf
I have a ways to go on her. Now I have to start collecting and buying parts. Sad
I also have a brand new re-pop steel hood that was intended for my other truck and picked up some heated/power Leather seats out of a newer GTP.
Well that's it for now. more to come....

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

The REAL Chopped Effie Project Empty Re: The REAL Chopped Effie Project

Post by xycho_wraith February 5th 2009, 4:46 am

kens digging it u got the right stuff...like i said in the fake post one hand washes the other keep me in touch

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 February 5th 2009, 2:34 pm

Hey Chad, sounds like a great start, I am just giving you a tid-bit of advice, becareful with that "VETTE" rear. it will make the truck handle good being a IRS but they are not very strong.. You will get the wow factor with for sure, it will make the truck handle good, but if you plan on going to MACKAYS riding the bull, or heading to THORNHILL for HILLBILLY DRAG NIGHT and the plan on busting a few hole shots your gonna be slinging half shafts like nobodies business, and let me tell you when you put your foot in it and it hooks up and the half shaft comes loose it sounds like a bomb going off.. I put one thru the storage compartment in my 73 and another thru the battery box and battery on my 76. Autocross they are a go drag strip beatings a no go. If you go to MID-AMERICA CORVETTE (catalog/website corvette parts company) they sell stronger U-joints but then you still take a chance of breaking everything in the carrier.. Repeated beatings are not friendly to vette rear-ends..If you need any parts for it PM me I have a ton of vette contacts..If your not dead set on using it sell it and buy the only good thing ford ever built, a stout 9" you will be happy you did in the long run strong economical easy to find parts and work on, oh did I say stong..Trust me I am not knocking your build I just hate seeing you put good money to bad, that is if you plan on driving it hard, ask any CORVETTE nut and they will tell you the same.. Good Luck.. Ryan
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823
Registration date : 2007-10-09

http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 1:15 am

Thanks for the input Ryan. I'd say the universals are the week point but I don't plan on putting stickys under the back. I think it'll hold up. Besides that they are a 12 Bolt setup. I know about 9 inch setup, I have one in my current '55. Very Happy
But I'm looking for a good riding/handling combo and I believe the Vette dealio should work nicely.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 6th 2009, 2:36 am

u going carb or injected what did lee say bought what u was doing w it

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 2:55 am

xycho_wraith wrote:u going carb or injected what did lee say bought what u was doing w it
Fuel Injection baby! Twisted Evil
If I was going carb I wouldn't even mess with a LT1. As for Lee, he hasn't made any comment. But it my setup now, not his. Very Happy

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 February 6th 2009, 3:03 am

Hell you don't need stickies to break them I broke mine by just running Eagle ST's... You will for sure be able to carve some corners...Look at the Mono Leaf Spring and some stiffer bushings and thicker sway bar for a real seat of the pants improvement over stock GM parts....Ryan
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 3:14 am

LRS30 wrote:Hell you don't need stickies to break them I broke mine by just running Eagle ST's... You will for sure be able to carve some corners...Look at the Mono Leaf Spring and some stiffer bushings and thicker sway bar for a real seat of the pants improvement over stock GM parts....Ryan
It needs all new bushing anyways (dry rotted), I've been looking at polyurethane Very Happy. As for the leafs, if I had the cash some coil overs would take its place but for now I'm open on that. And Sway bars both front and rear need to bought. Basically everything suspension and steering is needed or just wanted.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 February 6th 2009, 3:44 am

Actually Jim Beam broke the second one.. I had nothing to do with it...lol Yhea try Mid-America for parts for the Vette rear-end..
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 6th 2009, 6:35 am

i know its your set up i just like the way he thinks !!!! what year is the rear out of ?

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 9:38 pm

xycho_wraith wrote:i know its your set up i just like the way he thinks !!!! what year is the rear out of ?

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 6th 2009, 9:40 pm

whats the plan for the old frame that came with this project??????
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 10:16 pm

Don't know yet. It might end up under my other F100

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 10:24 pm

Why?

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 6th 2009, 11:27 pm

im sure it wont fit but if by chance it would i got a rear sway bar for a 79 camaro it might u never know i dont think im going to use it

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 6th 2009, 11:32 pm

Its hard to say. I don't know if it will or not. I'd say put it under your car.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 11th 2009, 12:58 pm

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 February 11th 2009, 1:56 pm

This truck is the real deal, nice solid driver. Anybody would be hard pressed to build a truck with everything this one has for $7000. Can't wait to see CHADS truck done....Hurry up with it already...
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 11th 2009, 8:43 pm

That guy started out at $11k on the HAMB. It looks like a good truck. Once weather breaks I'll be able to move some things around and get crackin.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyKarr February 11th 2009, 8:44 pm

LRS30 wrote:Hurry up with it already...
I believe someone has had a "BUCKET" quite a bit longer. Hurry up on that.

RustyKarr
Hot Rod Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 February 12th 2009, 1:50 am

Yhea but I'm married with kids who play sports during any free time I have, a mortgage, recovering from being off work for over a year, for a forth time, looking at another surgery with a recovery time of 3 to 4 months, a car payment, 2 other projects,2 other bikes waitng to be painted before my surgery, and running my business everyday,, ,painted and finished my brothers 78 TOYO FJ-40, painted and finished his 72 GMC also last winter and a Partridge in a pear Tree..Plus I built a truck winter before last, another motorcycle, the winter before that, and 2 more bikes the winters before that..If I had all your free time, the T would be a runner already.. If things go well it maybe a roller by the end of the weekend.. Are you calling me out? Is it a challenge? Who will be done first? Steve will be done before both of us...lol Yhea I need to hurry up don't I...Good things come t those who wait, and I have been waiting a long time to build this car.To many irons in the fire sure but it keeps me sane,All I was saying is I want to see your truck done..MAn people are testy around here....Chad come here big boy and let me give you a big hug..
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 February 12th 2009, 2:04 am

On second though :!: t maybe I need to be called out to light a fire under my arse....
LRS30
LRS30
Forum Junky

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew February 12th 2009, 2:52 am

and helped get the Gasser a roller again
RebStew
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs February 12th 2009, 4:18 am

LRS30 wrote:On second though :!: t maybe I need to be called out to light a fire under my arse....

you have been officially called out... Twisted Evil
JRiggs
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

Back to top Go down

Post by xycho_wraith February 12th 2009, 4:45 am

i think i smell a steak dinner

xycho_wraith
Forum Junky